Radio Waves emitted by Black Holes

In summary, black holes have been found to emit radio waves, which could potentially be light that escaped the black hole. However, it is more likely that the radio waves are produced by charged particles falling into the black hole and interacting with magnetic fields. The source of radio emission in different types of black holes is still uncertain.
DeepThunker
I was reading up on black holes when i thought of this. Black holes have been found to emit radio waves. I was wondering if this was actually light that managed to escape the black hole. Here is my thinking on this.
From what i know light travels in a straight line through points through space. A BH distorts space time which causes light to travel straight on the path into the BH. If light is expelled at 90 degree angle to the surface of the BH it should travel at lightspeed away from the BH. I was thinking then that the light wave's wavelength would be stretched into becoming a radio wave. If this is true we should be able to "read" the output. Comments?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
All radiation related to a black hole (except for infinitesimal amount called Hawking radiation) comes from charged particles (outside) falling into the black hole and radiating as they accelerate into the hole.

In radio-loud quasars, the majority of the radio emission comes from a pair of jets being expelled from the black hole and most of it originates from well away from the central engine. The mechanism of emission is synchrotron (relativistic charged particles interacting with magnetic fields). Radio-quiet quasars do have some radio emission, but I believe it's somewhat uncertain as to the source. Other than synchrotron, you can get large radio fluxes from free-free scattering (bremsstrahlung).

1. What are radio waves emitted by black holes?

Radio waves emitted by black holes are a form of electromagnetic radiation that is produced when matter falls into a black hole. This matter is accelerated to high speeds and releases energy in the form of radio waves as it approaches the event horizon of the black hole.

2. How are radio waves emitted by black holes detected?

Radio waves emitted by black holes are detected using specialized radio telescopes that are designed to pick up and amplify radio signals from space. These telescopes can also measure the frequency and intensity of the radio waves emitted by black holes, providing valuable information about the characteristics of the black hole.

3. What can we learn from studying radio waves emitted by black holes?

Studying radio waves emitted by black holes can provide insight into the structure and behavior of these cosmic phenomena. By analyzing the frequency and intensity of the radio waves, scientists can determine the size, mass, and spin of the black hole, as well as the properties of the matter being pulled into it.

4. Can radio waves emitted by black holes be harmful to humans?

No, radio waves emitted by black holes are not harmful to humans. They are a form of non-ionizing radiation, which means they do not have enough energy to break apart molecules or cause damage to living cells. However, the intense gravitational forces near a black hole can be dangerous for any objects that get too close.

5. How do black holes emit radio waves if they are known for their strong gravitational pull?

While black holes have a strong gravitational pull, they also have a magnetic field that can interact with the matter falling into them. As the matter is accelerated towards the black hole, it also generates strong magnetic fields that can emit radio waves. Additionally, black holes can also emit jets of material at near-light speeds, which can also produce radio waves.