Who Shares Today as Their Birthday on This Website?

• Thread starter _Mayday_
  • Start date
In summary, it is possible for only two registered users to share a birthday on a given day, out of the 86,805 users on the platform. This is because not all users choose to display their birthday on their profile, and there are privacy settings that allow for the birthday to be hidden from other users. If someone is born on February 29th of a leap year, their birthday would typically be celebrated on March 1st, except once every four years when it falls on the actual date.
_Mayday_
Firstly, Happy Birthday :smile:

Secondly is it right that only two registered users share today as their birthday? Out of the 86,805 users I would have thought there would be a few more.

86,805 / 365 = 240

Is it that it only shows birthdays of users who have the most posts or what? thanks!

_Mayday_

Physics news on Phys.org
One can chose not to enter one's birthday/date of birth.

Ah ok, so then those are only the birthdays of those who wish to display their date of birth?

_Mayday_ said:
Ah ok, so then those are only the birthdays of those who wish to display their date of birth?
Correct :smile:

In the Edit Profile section of My PF there are 4 privacy settings for your birth date. One of them means it is not displayed at all to anyone but the Admin.

On a [somewhat] related subject, I've always wondered what happens if you are born on February 29th of a leap year? When do you celebrate your birthday?

Hootenanny said:
On a [somewhat] related subject, I've always wondered what happens if you are born on February 29th of a leap year? When do you celebrate your birthday?

I'd think it would be the 1st of March, except once every 4 years.

Yep, March 1st, and then every four years. I know a guy who was born in the same year as my dad but is only about 13 :smile:

On a non leap year 29 Februari = 1 March. Just like 32 Januari = 1 Februari etc.

There is a 0.25 of a Feb 29 every year.

1. What is the significance of "Todays Birthdays" in scientific research?

"Todays Birthdays" is a commonly used dataset in scientific research that provides information about individuals who were born on the current day. This data can be used to study patterns and trends in birth rates, demographics, and genetics.

2. How is the "Todays Birthdays" data collected and verified?

The "Todays Birthdays" data is collected from various sources such as government records, birth announcements, and social media. The accuracy of the data is verified through cross-checking with multiple sources and ensuring that the information is consistent.

3. Can the "Todays Birthdays" data be used to make predictions?

While the "Todays Birthdays" data can provide insights and trends, it is not reliable for making predictions. Birth rates and demographics can be influenced by various factors, making it difficult to accurately predict future trends.

4. Is the "Todays Birthdays" data publicly available?

Yes, the "Todays Birthdays" data is often publicly available through online databases or can be obtained through request from research institutions. However, some personal information may be redacted for privacy reasons.

5. How can the "Todays Birthdays" data be used in different fields of science?

The "Todays Birthdays" data can be used in various fields of science such as sociology, genetics, and demographics. It can provide valuable insights into population trends, genetic inheritance patterns, and social behaviors related to age and birthdates.