Raspberry Pi 5 Crashing: Wayland to X11?

• Thread starter Swamp Thing
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Raspberry pi
Swamp Thing
Insights Author
Over the last few months I have had problems with certain applications on my Raspberry Pi 5. One application, FLDIGI, slowed the system to a crawl and was unuseable, although it ran well on a Pi 4. Another application, WSJTX, could not have its window resized or moved and would stubbornly superglue itself onto the middle of the screen.

Today I tried the screenshot program scrot (I know, terrible name) and it wouldn't work. Searching on this problem led me to a suggestion: switch back from Wayland to X11. (At this point I have only a vague idea what those are, except that they draw the windows and stuff on my screen).

The screen capture program began to work right away, and then I remembered the other two apps named above. Tried them out and lo and behold they are fine too.

Just thought I'd share this and maybe get your thoughts on this newfangled Wayland thing. And share this link: Wayland breaks everything!

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Swamp Thing said:
Over the last few months I have had problems with certain applications on my Raspberry Pi 5. One application, FLDIGI, slowed the system to a crawl and was unuseable, although it ran well on a Pi 4. Another application, WSJTX, could not have its window resized or moved and would stubbornly superglue itself onto the middle of the screen.
Have you downloaded (or built yourself) RPi5 (i.e. Bookworm) specific binaries for these apps?

Swamp Thing said:
Today I tried the screenshot program scrot (I know, terrible name) and it wouldn't work.
Screen capture is harder in Wayland by design (for security reasons). Having said that, I believe scrot has a release for RPiOS Bookworm (I don't have one to try): again, are you sure you are using the right release?

Swamp Thing said:
Just thought I'd share this and maybe get your thoughts on this newfangled Wayland thing.
No-one is working on X any more. OK that is a slight overstatement, but one day it will stop working. If you want to stick with it for now and put off the inevitable day then that's up to you, but it will keep getting harder to do that and easier to move to Wayland as time goes on.

Likes Swamp Thing
Wasn't X recently renamed Twitter?

X is 40 years old. Think about that for a moment. The amazing thing isn't that it's being replaced; it's that it hasn't happened sooner.

• Haha
Likes nsaspook, Swamp Thing and pbuk
Vanadium 50 said:
Wasn't X recently renamed Twitter?

X is 40 years old. Think about that for a moment. The amazing thing isn't that it's being replaced; it's that it hasn't happened sooner.
IMO, Xorg (20 years old) is unlikely to replaced anytime soon because it is 40 years old and it works. Wayland, so far, is unnecessary for the vast majority of computing requirements on the desktop.

"No-one is working on X any more" Because they don't have to.
People are still fixing things in Xorg when they break but there almost no extra functionality to add for developers to bite at.

X11 will never truly die.

Is there any evidence that the Linux community can stand to leave well enough alone? They dumped a perfectly working cron (Paul Vixie's) for one that does the exact same thing.

Vanadium 50 said:
Is there any evidence that the Linux community can stand to leave well enough alone? They dumped a perfectly working cron (Paul Vixie's) for one that does the exact same thing.
None. They moved from a perfectly acceptable init system to the virus called, systemd.
I've moved all my new systems to Devuan from Debian to avoid the virus.
https://www.devuan.org/

1. Why is my Raspberry Pi 5 crashing when switching from Wayland to X11?

This issue can occur due to compatibility problems between the Wayland display server and the X11 system. The Raspberry Pi 5 might lack the necessary drivers or configurations optimized for this switch, leading to system instability and crashes.

2. How can I prevent my Raspberry Pi 5 from crashing when changing from Wayland to X11?

To prevent crashes, ensure that your Raspberry Pi 5 is updated with the latest software and drivers. You can also try configuring the default display manager settings to better support X11 or stick to using Wayland if it provides stability.

3. Is there a specific configuration or setting to stabilize the Raspberry Pi 5 when using X11 instead of Wayland?

Yes, configuring the X11 as the default display manager properly can help stabilize the system. You can edit the display manager configuration files, such as LightDM or SDDM, to ensure they are set to use X11 by default. Additionally, checking the Xorg configuration for any errors and updating it can also improve stability.

4. Can updating the Raspberry Pi 5 firmware improve compatibility with X11?

Yes, updating the firmware can sometimes resolve compatibility issues and improve overall system stability when switching display servers. Firmware updates often include improvements and bug fixes that can enhance the performance and compatibility of hardware components with different software environments like X11.

5. Where can I find resources or community support for troubleshooting Raspberry Pi 5 crashes related to X11 and Wayland?

For troubleshooting support, the Raspberry Pi forums and community websites such as Stack Exchange and Reddit are excellent resources. These platforms have active user communities who may have experienced similar issues and can offer solutions based on their experiences. Additionally, the official Raspberry Pi documentation and blog posts can provide guidance and updates on handling such issues.