Valence States of Chromium and Silver in Net Ionic Equations: Which One to Use?

• Thread starter greg153
  • Start date
  • Tags
    State
In summary, the student is confused about which valence state to use for writing the net ionic equation for Cr and silver nitrate. They have attempted using both +2 and +3, but are unsure which one is correct and if there is a rule to follow. One expert suggests comparing potentials of half reactions and using Cr3+ in this case. The student also asks about the likelihood of reactions occurring between Au and HCl, and Ni and Ca acetate, with both experts confirming that there would be no reaction in either case due to the activity series.
greg153

Homework Statement

I have to write a net ionic equation for Cr and silver nitrate, but I am confused on which valence state to use, since Cr has multiple valence states ie +2, +3 and + 6.2. The attempt at a solution
If I use the valence state of +2 I end up with:
Cr(s) + 2 Ag+(aq) = 2 Ag (s) + Cr2+(aq)

But if I use +3 I end up with:
Cr(s) + 3Ag+(aq) -> 3Ag(s) + Cr3+(aq)

So which one do I use? and is there a rule to follow?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
In general you should compare potentials of half reactions. In this case go for Cr3+.

Borek said:
In general you should compare potentials of half reactions. In this case go for Cr3+.

Thanks borek. :)

Another quick question. Neither of these reactions would occur correct?

1.Au + HCl
No reaction since Au is below H2 in the activity series.

2.Ni + Ca(C2H3O2)2 (Ca acetate)
No reaction since Ni is below Ca in the activity series.

2xOK

Thanks.

1. What is a valence state and why is it important?

A valence state is the number of electrons an atom has in its outermost energy level. It is important because it determines how an atom will react with other atoms to form chemical bonds.

2. How do I determine which valence state to use?

The valence state of an atom can be determined by looking at its position on the periodic table. The group number of the element corresponds to its valence state.

3. Can an atom have multiple valence states?

Yes, some atoms can have multiple valence states. This is typically seen in transition metals, which can have different valence states depending on the reaction they are involved in.

4. How does the valence state affect the properties of an element?

The valence state of an element can affect its chemical reactivity and the types of compounds it can form. For example, elements with a full outer energy level (valence state of 0) are typically unreactive, while elements with a partially filled outer energy level (valence state of 1-7) are more reactive.

5. Are there exceptions to the valence state rule?

Yes, there are exceptions to the valence state rule. Some elements, such as the noble gases, have a full outer energy level and are typically unreactive, but can form compounds in certain circumstances.