Physics vs. Applied physics *departments*

In summary, when applying to graduate schools, it is important to understand the difference between physics and applied physics departments. Depending on your research interests, it may be beneficial to apply to both departments or focus on one over the other. It is also helpful to contact the departments directly to inquire about their specific areas of focus and which department may be the best fit for your interests.
WarPhalange
I'm looking for graduate schools now, and noticing that some schools have separate applied physics departments. If I want to apply to the school, do I only apply for physics or applied physics, or should I apply for both to have a better chance of getting in?

This is of course assuming that both departments have research I'm interested in, and so far yes, that has been the case.

I already have 10 places I'd be applying to, which is a lot of time and money to invest. If it doesn't help me at all to apply to both departments, then I'd just do 1 per school.

Physics news on Phys.org
For schools such as Stanford, I don't think it makes that much of a difference. But I think you do need to look at what each department focuses in. If we go by with the Stanford example, if you intend to do condensed matter physics, then it should be from the Applied Physics Dept. But if you are going to go into high energy physics, then it should be from the Physics Dept. I believe the department description lists quite clearly which area of physics each one covers.

Zz.

Yes, but in my case I'm not sure what I want to specialize in, but I have fields I'd like to work in. So I'll basically have to find for each school the most interesting project they have and just apply to that. The thing with Applied vs. Regular physics is that both departments have things I'd like, even if they are different, so I wouldn't mind either.

I know that there isn't a hard rule across all universities, or even programs. If you're interested in both, then contact the departments and ask!

...that's a good idea. Thanks. :)

What is the difference between physics and applied physics departments?

The main difference between physics and applied physics departments is the focus of their research and coursework. Physics departments typically focus on theoretical and fundamental research in areas such as quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics. On the other hand, applied physics departments place a greater emphasis on the practical applications of physics in fields such as engineering, materials science, and biophysics.

Which department is more suitable for students interested in pursuing a career in research?

Both physics and applied physics departments are suitable for students interested in pursuing a career in research. However, students interested in theoretical and fundamental research may find a physics department more suitable, while those interested in applied and practical research may prefer an applied physics department.

Do physics and applied physics departments have different curriculum requirements?

Yes, physics and applied physics departments typically have different curriculum requirements. Physics departments may have more courses in theoretical physics, while applied physics departments may have more courses in engineering and applied sciences. However, there may be some overlap in certain courses, such as mechanics and electromagnetism.

Which department offers more hands-on experience and laboratory work?

Applied physics departments generally offer more hands-on experience and laboratory work compared to physics departments. This is because applied physics places a greater emphasis on practical applications and students are often required to complete research projects or internships in a laboratory setting.

Can students switch between physics and applied physics departments?

It is possible for students to switch between physics and applied physics departments, but it may depend on the specific requirements and policies of the university. Some universities may have separate admissions processes for each department, while others may allow students to switch after completing a certain number of courses. It is important for students to consult with their academic advisors and department chairs before attempting to switch departments.