Bending Moment Indeterminate Beam

In summary, the conversation discusses a 20' beam with supports at different points and the need to determine its maximum load or capacity for a 3 ton hoist. The person asking the question is confused about how the maximum values for bending moments were obtained and how they are added together. The solution provided by the professor involves using coefficients from a handbook table and applying the superposition principle to determine the maximum load.
umdupas2

Homework Statement

I have a 20' (240 inch) beam with supports at 0in., 80 in., 160 in., 240 in. I need to give the beam a rating (maximum load; capacity) since it is a monorail for a 3 ton hoist. I've asked the question to my prof (his work is attached).

Homework Equations

I understand what the graphs represent (Bending moment due to dead load, and bending moment due to concentrated force) but I can't figure out he he got the max values (coefficients): ie. 0.08*Wdl*l^2, 0.1*Wdl*l^2, 0.025*Wdl*l^2 and second graph.. 0.07Pl, 0.175Pl, 0.075Pl

Also how does he know these act at the same position? Ie: M1, M2, M3 so that he can add them?

The Attempt at a Solution

Attached.

Attachments

• Beam.pdf
    40.1 KB · Views: 284
Physics news on Phys.org
Since the beam is statically indeterminate to the 2nd degree, it is a tedious task to calculate the bending moments using deflection-compatability analyses or some other method, so I am sure that the prof looked up these values (coefficients) in a handbook table somewhere, for both the uniform distributed load and the concentrated load at mid-point. By the superposition principle, the moments at any point under each load case can simply be added up. He examined 3 different possible points for max moment to determine the value of the maximum load P .

Thanks that explains everything.

1. What is a Bending Moment Indeterminate Beam?

A Bending Moment Indeterminate Beam is a structural element that is not fully supported at its ends, resulting in multiple unknown reactions and internal forces. This makes it difficult to analyze using traditional methods and requires the use of more advanced techniques.

2. How is the Bending Moment Indeterminate Beam different from a determinate beam?

A determinate beam has well-defined and known reactions and internal forces, while an indeterminate beam has multiple unknown reactions and internal forces due to its lack of full support at the ends.

3. What are the methods used to analyze Bending Moment Indeterminate Beams?

The two main methods used to analyze Bending Moment Indeterminate Beams are the slope-deflection method and the moment distribution method. These methods involve solving a series of equations to determine the unknown reactions and internal forces.

4. What factors affect the bending moment of an indeterminate beam?

The bending moment of an indeterminate beam is affected by several factors, including the type of support, the magnitude and location of external loads, and the length and stiffness of the beam. Changes in any of these factors can result in different bending moments along the beam.

5. Why is it important to analyze Bending Moment Indeterminate Beams?

Analyzing Bending Moment Indeterminate Beams is crucial for ensuring the structural integrity and safety of a building or structure. It allows engineers to accurately determine the internal forces and stresses within the beam, which can help in selecting appropriate materials and dimensions for construction.