Help with a BMD and deflection of beam problem

In summary, when solving for the slope and maximum deflection of the given beam, it is important to consider the assumptions made about the beam and its supports, as well as the placement of the load along the beam. It may also be helpful to compare the shear force and bending moment diagrams for the original beam and the equivalent beam to identify any discrepancies in your calculations.
kostoglotov

Homework Statement

I am given this beam:
tw6EEJz.jpg

imgur link: http://i.imgur.com/tw6EEJz.jpg

and asked to express the slope at A and the max deflection in terms of a, E, I, and Mo.

I am being told that my answer has the wrong multiplier...so I assume that my overall approach is ok (??) but I've missed dividing something by 2 somewhere or something like that.

I transform that above diagram into an equivalent:
uevlWxU.jpg

imgur link: http://i.imgur.com/uevlWxU.jpg

(I whited out the bending moments, pretend they aren't there anymore)

I figure those same bending moments could be produced by a load P like the one I've drawn.

Doing that leads to the shear force and bending moment diagrams that look something like this:

mShbv37.png

The lines on the BMD are [itex]y = \frac{P}{2}x[/itex] and [itex]]y = \frac{-P}{2}x+\frac{3Pa}{2}[/itex]

Thus I get [itex]P = \frac{2Mo}{a}[/itex]

and I have the equations [itex]v_{max}=\frac{-PL^3}{48EI}[/itex] and [itex]\theta_{max}=\frac{-PL^2}{16EI}[/itex]

Now that I have P in terms of Mo and a, and L = 3a, through basic substitution I get [itex]v_{max}=\frac{-9M_0a^2}{8EI}[/itex] and [itex]\theta_{max}=\frac{-9M_0a}{8EI}[/itex]

It does seem strange to me that the constant is the same out the front of both, and I am being told that my multiplier out the front is wrong. What have I missed?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello,

Thank you for sharing your approach and calculations. Overall, your approach seems to be correct, but there are a few things that you may have missed that could have led to the wrong multiplier.

First, when you transformed the original beam into an equivalent one, you assumed that the bending moments at A and B were equal, which is not necessarily the case. It is possible that the bending moment at A is different from the bending moment at B, which could affect your calculations.

Second, in your shear force and bending moment diagrams, you have assumed that the load P is acting at the midpoint of the beam, which may not be the case. The load could be acting at a different point along the beam, which would affect the equations for the shear force and bending moment.

Finally, when calculating the maximum deflection and slope, you have assumed that the beam is simply supported at both ends, but this may not be the case. The beam could be fixed at one end and simply supported at the other, which would result in different equations for the maximum deflection and slope.

I would recommend double-checking your assumptions and considering the possibility that the beam may not be simply supported at both ends. Additionally, it may be helpful to draw the shear force and bending moment diagrams for the original beam and compare them to the diagrams you have drawn for the equivalent beam to see if there are any discrepancies.

I hope this helps and good luck with your calculations!

1. How do I calculate the BMD and deflection of a beam?

To calculate the BMD (bending moment diagram) and deflection of a beam, you will need to use the principles of statics, specifically the equations for equilibrium and bending moment. You will also need to know the properties of the beam, such as its material, cross-sectional area, and length. Once you have this information, you can use formulas and equations to solve for the BMD and deflection.

2. What are the factors that affect BMD and deflection?

The BMD and deflection of a beam are affected by several factors, including the load applied to the beam, the material and cross-sectional area of the beam, and the length of the beam. Additionally, the type of support at the ends of the beam, such as fixed or pinned, can also affect the BMD and deflection.

3. Can I use software to calculate BMD and deflection?

Yes, there are various software programs available that can help you calculate the BMD and deflection of a beam. These programs use algorithms and equations to solve for the BMD and deflection, making it easier and faster to obtain accurate results. However, it is still important to have a basic understanding of the principles and equations involved in order to use the software effectively.

4. What are some common mistakes when calculating BMD and deflection?

One common mistake when calculating BMD and deflection is using incorrect or incomplete information about the beam's properties, such as its material or length. Another mistake is not considering all the forces and loads acting on the beam, which can affect the accuracy of the calculations. It is also important to double check all calculations and units to avoid errors.

5. How do I interpret the results of the BMD and deflection calculations?

The BMD and deflection calculations will provide you with numerical values for the bending moment and deflection at different points along the beam. These values can be plotted on a graph to create a visual representation of the BMD and deflection. The BMD can help identify areas of high stress or potential failure, while the deflection can help determine if the beam is within acceptable limits for its intended use.