What is the relationship between constant speed rolling motion and friction?

In summary: However, if you assume there is a force acting on the center of the wheel, then one or both of the statements is true.
flasherffff
hi ,this is my first post (and its not HW)
i currently study dynamics of rigid bodies
using (Hibbeler)

and there's one thing about this type of motion (rolling) that just seems to elude me

for any planar motion we have 3 equations
[tex]\Sigma F_{{x}}={\it ma}_{{g_{{x}}}}[/tex]
[tex]\Sigma F_{{y}}={\it ma}_{{g_{{y}}}}[/tex]
[tex]\Sigma M_{{g}}=i_{{g}}\alpha[/tex]

if i have a wheel rolling on a surface with constant velocity ,say a car wheel not connected to the engine

by kinematics [tex]a_{{g}}=\alpha\,r[/tex] then [tex]\alpha=0[/tex]

then there is a force P acting on the mass center G
then by the first equation if ag=0
then the friction force f must be equel and opposite of p and acting at the contact point A

but then by eq3 the moment about G causes an increase in [tex]\alpha[/tex]
contradicting the kinematics equation

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/4869/scanpic0001m.jpg

now ,obviously i got something wrong but what

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand. You say constant velocity, yet you have some force P acting? Where does that come from?

i assume there is some rolling friction beforehand

If there is a force acting on the center of the wheel, one or both of the two statements is true.

1) The car is accelerating/decelerating.
2) The car is applying torque to the wheel via brakes/engine.

but if i don't apply a force
the rolling motion would stop due to friction

flasherffff said:
but if i don't apply a force
the rolling motion would stop due to friction
What friction? Are you considering rolling friction? First get the ideal case straight--perfectly rigid wheel with no friction to worry about.

why a perfectly rigid wheel would experience no friction
i mean static friction at the point of contact

Last edited:
flasherffff said:
why a perfectly rigid wheel would experience no friction
i mean static friction
Unless the wheel/surface deform--the source of dissipative rolling friction which stops real wheels from rolling indefinitely--there's no friction to worry about. No static friction is required to maintain the motion--it's constant velocity. The static friction is zero if the wheel isn't accelerating.

thanks ,i understand what i got wrong
i assumed there is a constant friction resisting to rolling just like the kinetic friction for sliding

You start with alpha=0 which means no acceleration, which is true only if there is no friction or if there is a torque applied to counter friction.

What is constant speed rolling motion?

Constant speed rolling motion is a type of motion where an object moves in a straight line while also rotating around an axis at a constant speed.

What are the key characteristics of constant speed rolling motion?

The key characteristics of constant speed rolling motion include a constant speed, a circular motion around an axis, and no change in the direction of the object's motion.

What are some examples of constant speed rolling motion?

Some examples of constant speed rolling motion include a ball rolling down a hill, a car moving forward while its wheels are rotating, and a wheel rolling along a flat surface.

How is constant speed rolling motion different from other types of motion?

Constant speed rolling motion is different from other types of motion because it involves both linear and rotational motion at the same time. Unlike linear motion, the distance an object travels is not directly proportional to the time it takes for the object to travel that distance.

What factors affect the speed of constant speed rolling motion?

The speed of constant speed rolling motion can be affected by the size and shape of the object, the surface it is rolling on, and any external forces such as friction or gravity.