Neutron in a Cold Environment: Effects?

• Thread starter TungstenX
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Neutron
In summary: Neutrons are found in all environments, including the human body. They can cause cancer if they are absorbed in large quantities.
TungstenX
Good day All,

A quick question:
(My knowledge / assumption): A neutron moves very fast and can go through almost anything, right?
What will happen if said neutron enters a very cold (as close to zero kelvin as possible) environment? (Will it slow down, etc?)

TX

Physics news on Phys.org
TungstenX said:
(My knowledge / assumption): A neutron moves very fast and can go through almost anything, right?

No. Neutrons can have any velocity and they can be stopped by many common materials.

Thank you for the reply.
(Seems like you'll be around for a long time; (T1/2)1.5×1017 years)

P.s. They mine you near Rustenburg

tʌŋstən

Depends how much energy the neutron has. A neutron is uncharged so it's actually quite penetrative, but when it collides with an atomic nucleus it'll create a lot of secondary radiation - kind of why neutron bombs are so destructive.
What will happen if said neutron enters a very cold (as close to zero kelvin as possible) environment? (Will it slow down, etc?)
See above; depends on your neutron's kinetic energy (I'd have thought this is "typically" much greater than the thermal energy of the cold material).

might want to look up "thermal neutrons"

One of those materials that deflect neutrons is beryllium. But we all know what happened in the critcality accident at Los Alamos.

TungstenX said:
Good day All,

A quick question:

TX

As said above, Neutrons can move at any speed (under the speed of light of course). As with any small particle, it will not lose energy unless it can transfer its momentum/energy to it in a collision or something similar. Simply shooting Neutrons into a tank of liquid helium doesn't mean that ALL neutrons will be stopped, some will inevitably miss all the atoms and molecules and continue through with no slowdown.

Yes that is true, but why reference the medicinal drugs?

1. What is a neutron?

A neutron is a subatomic particle that has no electric charge and is found in the nucleus of an atom. It is slightly larger than a proton and is made up of two down quarks and one up quark.

2. What is a cold environment?

A cold environment is an environment with a low temperature, typically below room temperature. This can include environments such as the Arctic, deep space, or a controlled laboratory setting.

3. How does cold temperature affect neutrons?

Cold temperatures can slow down the movement of neutrons, causing them to have less kinetic energy. This can affect their interactions with other particles and can alter their behavior in certain environments.

4. What are the effects of a cold environment on neutrons?

The effects of a cold environment on neutrons can include changes in their speed, energy, and interactions with other particles. This can be important in areas such as nuclear physics and astrophysics, where the behavior of neutrons is crucial to understanding various phenomena.

5. How do scientists study neutrons in a cold environment?

Scientists can study neutrons in a cold environment using specialized equipment such as cryogenic systems, which can create and maintain extremely low temperatures. They can also use neutron scattering techniques, where neutrons are directed at a sample and the resulting pattern can provide information about the structure and behavior of the sample. Additionally, computer simulations can be used to model the behavior of neutrons in different environments.