Calculate Half Life Values using First Order Kinetics Formula

• Thread starter Miike012
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, the formula for calculating half lives in a first order reaction involves the factor "X" which increases by one at each half life. By knowing the percentage of the half life, the factor X can be determined using the formula X = Log(100/%)/Log2. This leads to the derived formula T(1/2)*Log(100/%)/Log2 = T(100/%) for determining the value of t for any portion of the original amount. However, the use of percentages instead of proportions may not be necessary or beneficial.
Miike012
Formula consists of calculating half lifes of a first order... T (1/2) = 0.693/k

1. T (1/2)(x) = T (%)

I noticed at various half life values such as T(1/2) , T(1/4) , T(1/8) ... T(%)
That these values are the product of T(1/2) and some Factor "X"... As I stated in formula 1.

-Next I noticed that at every half life each factor of X increased by one
Example: T(1/2) X=1 , T(1/4) X=2, T(1/8) X=3 ...

-Thus if I know the percentage of the half life I can work backwards. Thus determing the Factor X
Example: T(3.125%)

3.125/100 = 1/x ----> x = 32
Thus: T(3.125%) = T(1/32)
At T(1/32) the factor of X is 5... X = 5
And T(1/2)(5) = T(1/32)

-Solving for X
1/32 = 1/2^X ----> 32 = 2^X -----> X = Log32/Log2

*Remeber number 32 is a percentage thus 32 can be substituted for 100/%
and X = Log(100/%)/Log2 ... The base will be a constant equal to 2.

-Finally: Taking both equations and substituting:

1. T(1/2)(X) = T(%)
2. X = Log(100/%)/Log2

Derived formula: T(1/2)*Log(100/%)/Log2 = T(100/%)

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone ??

Perhaps the reason you have no responses is that your notation is poor and it isn't clear what you are trying to accomplish. If you want to know the value of t for any portion λ of the original amount you just solve

[tex]\lambda P_0 =P_0e^{-kt}[/tex]
for t:
[tex]t = -k\ln(\lambda)[/tex]
If λ = 1/2n this gives (denoting this t as tn)
[tex]t_n=-k\ln(\frac 1 {2^n}) =kn\ln(2)= nt_1[/tex]
where t1 is the time for the first half life.

I guess that's what you are getting at, but I'm not sure what it gets you. And I don't see the point of using percentages instead of proportions.

Related to Calculate Half Life Values using First Order Kinetics Formula

1. How can I check the accuracy of my formula?

The best way to check the accuracy of your formula is to perform experiments or simulations using the formula and compare the results to known data or observations. This will help identify any discrepancies or errors in the formula.

2. What are some common mistakes to watch out for when creating a formula?

Common mistakes when creating a formula include using incorrect units, not accounting for all relevant variables, and making mathematical errors. It is important to double-check all calculations and ensure that the formula is logically sound.

3. Can I use a formula from another source without checking it?

No, it is always important to check the formula from another source before using it. Different sources may have different assumptions or methods which can affect the accuracy of the formula. It is also possible that the formula may have been misinterpreted or incorrectly transcribed.

4. What resources can I use to validate my formula?

There are many resources available to help validate your formula, such as textbooks, scientific journals, and online databases. It is important to use reputable sources and to carefully examine the methodology and assumptions used in the formula.

5. How can I make my formula more accurate?

To make your formula more accurate, you can incorporate more data, refine the variables and assumptions, and perform more rigorous testing. It is also helpful to have colleagues or experts review your formula and provide feedback. Continuous refinement and improvement are key to creating a reliable and accurate formula.