Formula to detect direct or inverse related values

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a formula for a variable y using given x and y values. The method used involves trial and error, but it is suggested to find the slope using different points and then using the slope-intercept form of a line equation to find the y-intercept. The formula obtained is y = 2.5x + 1.
radaway

Homework Statement

Hello All

via the following x, y values , a formula needs to be decided for the 'Y ' variable.

Basicaly Consider the table below for x and y (are they directly proportional or are they inversely related ? ). and also to find out the corresponding formula. Pl. see the image[/B]

http://s6.postimg.org/nph5u40dd/math.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

It seems that I have bumped onto to the answer BUT with trial and error methods :p
for e.g ( 4,11 :--> 4 X 2 = 8 +3) say this is 'Try 1'

for ( 12,31 :---> 12 X 2 = 24 +7) and so on

also in the (8+3) above , take the '3' & in (24+7) above take the '7' , which gives a pattern of 'multiply with 2' +1 (notice the '1')

and when I would repeat the above once again but this time with
for e.g ( 4,11 :---> 4 X 3 = 12) say this is 'Try 2'

then I just take the (a gamble) of 'Try 1' and 'Try 2' and can settle for 2.5 as the factor :)

so y = 2.5x + 1 is the formula ( or 5/2x +1)Question:

Is there a 'proper' way to get the formula( other than guesswork and a not like the un-structural method like I have done above) ?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you given that ##y(x)## is a line (equation of degree ##1##)? If not, are you familiar with systems of linear equations?

No this is not a straight line.{ (y = cx ), where c is a constant}
neither is this of the format y = c/x or x = c/y
i think its an odd one out ( maybe a hyperbola, or an asymptote ...not sure.)

all that's given is what I have shown in the picture file. and the instruction is : get the formula...which I have but in a very unstructural manner.

Thanks,

radaway said:
No this is not a straight line.{ (y = cx ), where c is a constant}
neither is this of the format y = c/x or x = c/y
i think its an odd one out ( maybe a hyperbola, or an asymptote ...not sure.)

all that's given is what I have shown in the picture file. and the instruction is : get the formula...which I have but in a very unstructural manner.

Thanks,

You get ##y = 2,5x + 1## which is the equation of a line.

Are you allowed to use a calculator or something?

Likes radaway
yes a calculator is allowed. I have a casio fx-82es plus, but would not know how to

radaway said:

Homework Statement

Hello All

via the following x, y values , a formula needs to be decided for the 'Y ' variable.

Basicaly Consider the table below for x and y (are they directly proportional or are they inversely related ? ). and also to find out the corresponding formula. Pl. see the image[/B]

http://s6.postimg.org/nph5u40dd/math.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

It seems that I have bumped onto to the answer BUT with trial and error methods :p
for e.g ( 4,11 :--> 4 X 2 = 8 +3) say this is 'Try 1'

for ( 12,31 :---> 12 X 2 = 24 +7) and so on

also in the (8+3) above , take the '3' & in (24+7) above take the '7' , which gives a pattern of 'multiply with 2' +1 (notice the '1')

and when I would repeat the above once again but this time with
for e.g ( 4,11 :---> 4 X 3 = 12) say this is 'Try 2'

then I just take the (a gamble) of 'Try 1' and 'Try 2' and can settle for 2.5 as the factor :)

so y = 2.5x + 1 is the formula ( or 5/2x +1)Question:

Is there a 'proper' way to get the formula( other than guesswork and a not like the un-structural method like I have done above) ?

Thanks in advance

math.png
Find the slope determined by the first two points.

Find the slope determined by the second and third points. (It turns out to be the same as above.)

Does the slope determined by points 3 and 4 match the above ?

thanks that helped abit

for the records: slope = change in Y/ chg. in x

10/4, 20/8, 40/16 all amount to : 2.5 , the query now remains: where is the '1' coming from (2.5x +'1')

radaway said:
thanks that helped abit

for the records: slope = change in Y/ chg. in x

10/4, 20/8, 40/16 all amount to : 2.5 , the query now remains: where is the '1' coming from
What is the y - intercept ?

(In this case, it's right there in the table.)

Otherwise, there are several methods.

You know the form of the equation of a line with slope 2.5 is
y = (2.5)x + b.​
Plug in x and y from one of the points in the table, and solve for b.

Or use another form:
y = yn + (2.5)(x - xn) ,
where n = 1, 2, 3, or 4, signifying which point you use.
If the points all fall on the same line, then they all give the same result when simplified.​

Likes radaway
Thanks !

1. What is the formula to detect direct or inverse related values?

The formula to detect direct or inverse related values is called the correlation coefficient, also known as Pearson's r. It is represented by the symbol "r" and ranges from -1 to 1.

2. How is the correlation coefficient calculated?

The correlation coefficient is calculated by dividing the covariance of two variables by the product of their standard deviations. This can be expressed as: r = Cov(x,y) / (SDx * SDy).

3. What does a correlation coefficient of 1 or -1 indicate?

A correlation coefficient of 1 indicates a perfect positive correlation, meaning that as one variable increases, the other also increases in a linear fashion. A correlation coefficient of -1 indicates a perfect negative correlation, meaning that as one variable increases, the other decreases in a linear fashion.

4. How do you interpret a correlation coefficient between 0 and 1?

A correlation coefficient between 0 and 1 indicates a positive correlation, meaning that as one variable increases, the other tends to increase as well. The closer the coefficient is to 1, the stronger the positive correlation. A coefficient of 0 indicates no correlation.

5. Can the correlation coefficient be used to determine causation?

No, correlation does not imply causation. Just because two variables are strongly correlated does not mean that one causes the other. There could be other factors at play that are causing the relationship between the two variables.