Could the solar system have formed directly on the site of a supernova?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of our solar system forming at the site of a supernova and whether a white dwarf can accumulate enough matter to restart a nuclear reaction and become a main sequence star. However, it is determined that this is not possible due to the composition of a white dwarf and the amount of pressure and heat needed to trigger fusion in heavier elements. Other scenarios are also discussed, including the possibility of a planetary nebula forming instead of a supernova and the potential for a spherical shell of hydrogen undergoing fusion around a white dwarf. Ultimately, it is concluded that a white dwarf cannot restart a nuclear reaction and the hydrogen would undergo fusion in a nova event.
ericwdhs
Hey guys. This is my first post here and I hope many more will follow. Now on to the topic at hand…

I’ve been doing some research into the solar system’s formation and evolution. As many of you are probably aware, the solar system’s heavier elements are believed to be the remnants of a massive star that went supernova prior to the solar system’s formation. Usually, this supernova is said to have occurred nearby (within a few light-years) with the implication being that our solar system formed from the small portion of the original mass that blew our direction and the rest of the mass (along with the resulting white dwarf/neutron star/black hole) drifted off elsewhere. What never really seems to be discussed is whether or not it’s possible that our solar system formed right at the site of the supernova, particularly around the white dwarf left over from the event. (A neutron star or black hole seems to be out of the question.) That makes the most critical question: Is it possible for a white dwarf to accumulate enough matter to “jump start” the star (restart a nuclear reaction within the core) and for it to once again look like a main sequence star like our Sun afterwards?

To elaborate, here’s a particular scenario I’m envisioning which I’m hoping won’t contain too many impossibilities to iron out:

Around 5 billion years ago, a star of 8 or more solar masses (near the minimum needed) goes supernova. Most of the matter achieves escape velocity and is never seen in the area again. A white dwarf of about 0.25 to 0.5 solar masses remains along with about 1 solar mass of other material (mostly hydrogen) that didn’t reach escape velocity. The white dwarf, a dense composition of primarily oxygen and carbon close to the size of Earth, accumulates enough of this matter to bring it up to 1 solar mass. The temperature and pressure increase to the point where nuclear fusion begins. The Sun expands to its current volume and the density no longer resembles that of a white dwarf.

The materials intermix in the core, with hydrogen undergoing fusion into helium and oxygen and carbon serving only as buffer material (possibly responsible for the Sun’s low power output per volume and as an aid to its stability). The oxygen and carbon of the original white dwarf do not leave the core for the most part due to their heavier weights, but trace amounts make it up to the photosphere where they are detectable. (Behind hydrogen and helium, oxygen and carbon are the most common elements in the Sun’s photosphere, though the amounts are still small, totaling near 1% by mass. As far as I know, knowledge of the composition deeper than this amounts to speculation based on the composition of the outer layers and explaining the energy output.)

The rest of the matter in the system coalesces into a protoplanetary disc (retaining an angular momentum reminiscent of the star predating the supernova) and forms the planets according to the accepted models.

So, is this all possible?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
No, the remnants of a supernova are much richer in heavy elements than we see in our solar system. Also, a white dwarf that accumulates enough mass from captured matter will blow itself apart in a type 1a supernova, not restart the core. The heavy elements require much much higher temperatures to fuse than hydrogen, and there is no mechanism capable of moving a significant portion of any accumulated hydrogen into the center of the white dwarf.

Last edited:
Alright, that's the information I was looking for. I have a couple more questions now though:

Looking into Type 1A Supernovae, it seems the white dwarf would only explode if it accumulated enough mass to get close to the Chandrasekhar limit (about 1.4 solar masses). Hypothetically speaking, let's say we started with a white dwarf of the lowest mass identified, 0.17 solar masses, and added 0.83 solar masses of pure hydrogen to it to bring it up to 1 solar mass. Stars as small as 0.09 solar masses (provided their metallicity is like the Sun) can undergo nuclear fusion, so why exactly wouldn't the 0.83 solar masses of hydrogen do the same? After all, it's experiencing fairly large pressure and the white dwarfs residual heat.

In a separate hypothetical case, let's go with the first scenario, but lower the mass of the original star so that it doesn't produce as many heavy elements and simply blows out into a planetary nebula rather than a supernova. Would the heavy element count still be too high for our solar system?

Edit: As for moving hydrogen into the center of the white dwarf, let's say (once again hypothetically) that the hydrogen simply accumulates around the white dwarf. The Chandrasekhar limit is never surpassed, but the hydrogen at the surface of the white dwarf reaches a high enough temperature to undergo fusion. Would such a spherical shell of material undergoing nuclear reactions be theoretically possible? If yes, would the kinetic energy of this material be high enough to start dissolving the adjacent surface of the white dwarf?

Last edited:
A white dwarf is composed of oxygen and carbon typically. These elements cannot undergo fusion in a star of approximately 1 solar mass because there simply isn't enough mass to compress the core enough to heat it to fusion temperatures for carbon or oxygen. As to your second question, I don't know for sure. To answer your third question, the hydrogen would undergo fusion in an event known as a Nova.

Thanks. I was aware oxygen and carbon wouldn't undergo fusion. I was simply wondering what the hydrogen would do (which makes my first and third questions pretty much equivalent). Nova was what I was looking for.

Ah, thank you for your intelligent reply: It shows you're not the guy who spams 'PhysOrg' with his notion that our Sun, uniquely, has a neutron star at its core...

1. How could a supernova lead to the formation of a solar system?

The explosion of a supernova can create shock waves that compress gas and dust in the surrounding area, leading to the formation of a dense, rotating cloud. This cloud can eventually collapse under its own gravity to form a protostar, which can then accrete material to become a star. The remaining gas and dust in the surrounding disk can also coalesce to form planets, moons, and other objects, ultimately resulting in the formation of a solar system.

2. Is there evidence to support the idea that our solar system formed on the site of a supernova?

While there is no conclusive evidence, there are several pieces of evidence that support the idea. For example, the presence of radioactive elements in our solar system suggests that it may have formed from material that was previously exposed to a supernova explosion. Additionally, the abundance of heavy elements in our solar system, such as gold and platinum, also supports the idea that our solar system formed from material that was enriched by a supernova.

3. How long does it take for a solar system to form after a supernova explosion?

The exact timeline for the formation of a solar system after a supernova explosion is not known, as it can vary depending on the specific conditions of the explosion and the surrounding environment. However, it is estimated that it can take anywhere from a few million to a few hundred million years for a solar system to form after a supernova.

4. Could the radiation and energy from a supernova have a negative impact on the formation of a solar system?

While the radiation and energy from a supernova can have a significant impact on the surrounding environment, it is unlikely to have a negative impact on the formation of a solar system. In fact, the energy and shock waves from a supernova can actually trigger the collapse of a gas cloud and the subsequent formation of a solar system.

5. Is it possible for a solar system to form directly on the site of a supernova, or would it have to form nearby and then migrate?

It is possible for a solar system to form directly on the site of a supernova, as long as the conditions are right. However, it is more likely that a solar system would form nearby and then migrate to the site of a supernova, as the intense radiation and energy from the explosion could disrupt the formation process if it occurred too close to the site. Additionally, the gravitational pull of the newly formed star could also cause the planets to migrate towards the solar system's center, which may explain why most exoplanet systems have planets that orbit fairly close to their host star.