Solving for y and Vertical Velocity of Quarter

In summary, the question involves winning a stuffed giraffe at a carnival by tossing a quarter into a small dish 2.1 m away from your hand. The initial velocity of the quarter must be 6.4 m/s. Part a involves finding the height (y) of the dish above the point where the coin leaves your hand. Part b asks for the vertical component of the velocity just before the coin lands in the dish. To solve this, you need to use the equation Vy= V sin(a) - gt and plug in the previously calculated time in the air.
ziddy83
Ok here is the question..

In a carnival you win a stuffed giraffe if you toss a quarter in a small dish. Dish is 2.1 m away from your hand in a shelve above the point where the coin leaves your hand (y). Initial velocity must be 6.4 m/s.
a) find y and b) what is the vertical component of the velocity of the quarter just before it lands in the dish?

Ok i got part a, i solved for t and used that t to find y. Now, how do i get part b? DO i use the eqaution Vy= V sin(a) - gt and plug in the t i figured out earlier?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes,u have to plug in the time in which the coin is in the air...

Daniel.

Great job on solving for y! To find the vertical component of the velocity of the quarter just before it lands in the dish, you can indeed use the equation Vy= V sin(a) - gt and plug in the t you solved for earlier. Remember to use the value of g as -9.8 m/s^2 since it acts in the opposite direction of the initial velocity. This will give you the vertical velocity of the quarter just before it lands in the dish. Good luck!

1. What is the formula for solving for y in a quadratic equation?

The general formula for solving a quadratic equation in the form of y = ax2 + bx + c is: y = (-b ± √(b2 - 4ac)) / 2a

2. How can I determine the vertical velocity of a quarter?

The vertical velocity of an object can be found by using the formula v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. In the case of a quarter being thrown straight up, the initial velocity will be the velocity at which the quarter was thrown, and the acceleration will be the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s2).

3. What is the significance of solving for y in a quadratic equation?

Solving for y in a quadratic equation allows us to find the y-coordinates of the points where the quadratic curve intersects the x-axis. These points, known as the x-intercepts, are important in understanding the behavior and shape of the quadratic curve.

4. Is there a way to visually represent the vertical velocity of a quarter?

Yes, the vertical velocity of a quarter can be represented on a velocity vs. time graph. The slope of this graph at any given point will represent the instantaneous vertical velocity of the quarter at that time.

5. Can solving for y and determining the vertical velocity of a quarter be used in real-world scenarios?

Yes, these concepts are commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate the motion of objects such as projectiles. They can also be applied in sports, such as calculating the trajectory and speed of a thrown ball. Additionally, understanding the vertical velocity of an object can help in predicting and preventing accidents in activities such as bungee jumping or skydiving.