What is the final V in the vertical direction?

In summary: If the ball is thrown from the left, then the sign should be negative, and if the ball is thrown from the right, the sign should be positive.
Lapse

Homework Statement

upload_2019-2-13_21-47-2.png

Homework Equations

Vy2 = Vyo2 + 2ayt
y = 1/2(Vyo + Vy)t

The Attempt at a Solution

So I have "solved" this problem with both the equations above.

Using the Vy2 equation I get the result of 32.83m/s.
Using the other equation I get a result of zero, because Δy = (0 - 55) = -55. However, if I consider that 55m a positive value, then I get 32.83m/s... same as first equation.

I knew Vyo = 0m/s because the initial velocity would only be in the x-direction since the ball "is thrown horizontally". To prove it I did the equation Δy = Vyot + 1/2ayt and got a result of 0m/s.

So, where am I going wrong?

I actually have a much bigger problem than just this one I'm posting. For some reason I cannot wrap my head around physics problems. I can do calculus, logic classes, philosophy, etc, but for some reason cannot make my mind look at physic's problems in the right way. Conceptually, all of these kinematic questions seem easy, but I am spending WAY more time on these problems than should be necessary. If you have an answer for this conundrum I welcome your responses...

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-13_21-47-2.png
    upload_2019-2-13_21-47-2.png
    48.1 KB · Views: 605
Physics news on Phys.org
upload_2019-2-13_21-56-28.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-13_21-56-28.png
    upload_2019-2-13_21-56-28.png
    14.8 KB · Views: 365
I don't understand how you get ##V_y=0## using the second equation.

Isnt it ##-55=\frac{1}{2}(0+V_y)3.35\Rightarrow V_y=\frac{-2\cdot55}{3.35}=-32.83##?

Lapse said:

Homework Statement

[ ATTACH=full]238714[/ATTACH]

Homework Equations

Vy2 = Vyo2 + 2ayt
y = 1/2(Vyo + Vy)t

The Attempt at a Solution

So I have "solved" this problem with both the equations above.

Using the Vy2 equation I get the result of 32.83m/s.
Using the other equation I get a result of zero, because Δy = (0 - 55) = -55. However, if I consider that 55m a positive value, then I get 32.83m/s... same as first equation.

I knew Vyo = 0m/s because the initial velocity would only be in the x-direction since the ball "is thrown horizontally". To prove it I did the equation Δy = Vyot + 1/2ayt and got a result of 0m/s.

So, where am I going wrong?

I actually have a much bigger problem than just this one I'm posting. For some reason I cannot wrap my head around physics problems. I can do calculus, logic classes, philosophy, etc, but for some reason cannot make my mind look at physic's problems in the right way. Conceptually, all of these kinematic questions seem easy, but I am spending WAY more time on these problems than should be necessary. If you have an answer for this conundrum I welcome your responses...
You have an error in the first equation you list
Vy2 = Vyo2 + 2ayt​

You should have Δy rather than t , so it should be:
Vy2 = Vyo2 + 2ay(Δy) ,​
which is probably what you actually used if you got 32.83m/s for Vy.

Notice that when you solve an equation such as ##v_y^2 = 2(-9.8)(-55)## by taking the square root of both sides, the answer is:
##v_y = \pm \sqrt{1078} \approx \pm 32.83 ~. ##​

You then need to choose the sign consistent with the situation

1. What is the final V in the vertical direction?

The final V in the vertical direction refers to the final velocity of an object in the vertical direction, also known as the y-direction. It is the speed at which the object is moving up or down at the end of its motion.

2. How is the final V in the vertical direction calculated?

The final V in the vertical direction can be calculated using the formula: Vf = Vi + at, where Vf is the final velocity, Vi is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time taken. This formula applies to objects moving in a straight line with constant acceleration.

3. What units are used to measure the final V in the vertical direction?

The final V in the vertical direction is measured in meters per second (m/s) or feet per second (ft/s) depending on the unit system being used. It can also be expressed in other units such as kilometers per hour (km/h) or miles per hour (mph).

4. How does the final V in the vertical direction affect an object's motion?

The final V in the vertical direction is a crucial factor in determining an object's motion. It determines the speed and direction of the object in the vertical direction and can influence its overall trajectory and path. A higher final V in the vertical direction indicates a faster and more upward motion, while a lower final V indicates a slower and more downward motion.

5. Can the final V in the vertical direction be negative?

Yes, the final V in the vertical direction can be negative. A negative final V indicates that the object is moving downward in the vertical direction. This can happen when the initial velocity is in the downward direction, or when the acceleration is in the opposite direction of the initial velocity. It is important to pay attention to the sign of the final V, as it indicates the direction of the object's motion.