What Essentials Might Be Missing from My Moving Day Checklist?

• Thread starter brewnog
  • Start date
In summary: You're moving to Staffordshire!In summary, brewnog is moving house tomorrow and is preparing for his new job. He's packing cooking and cleaning supplies, as well as condoms and other toiletry items. He's also packing a knife, zip ties, gaffer tape, and a kerf setter. He's not sure if he'll need them in Staffordshire, but is hopeful.
brewnog
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm moving house tomorrow!

That's right kids, I'm becoming an honourary southerner. I'm moving to Staffordshire, - "The Creative County", in preparation for starting my shiny new job.

I'm opening a book on what I've forgotten to pack. Any takers?

Physics news on Phys.org
have you remembered all your packs of condoms?
It would be such an embarassment to you, if the new owners call you up and..okay you can figure out the conversation on your own.

Yep don't forget them condoms. Everything else can wait, or be bought again.

And thus, brewnog's shiny new thread went down in the gutter..:devil:

Make sure to pack ALL your cooking stuff.
My general rule of thumb is..if you haven't used it in 2 years, odds are you don't need it. Hope the move goes smoothly!

Yeah, hypatia is right:
You shouldn't take with you 2-year old condoms. Just throw the packs away.

If he hasn't used them in 2 years, I would not bother bringing any at all :tongue2:

mattmns said:
If he hasn't used them in 2 years, I would not bother bringing any at all :tongue2:
No, they won't do (get?) him any good in Staffordshire, either..

Ha, I had genuinely not remembered to pack condoms! :smile:
<rushes off to pack condoms>

I've packed a fair bit of cooking stuff, and have raided mother's cupboards for spices and mango chutney. Can't find my wok though, I know it's in the loft somewhere but it's far too hot to be rumaging around. Not packed the computer or stereo yet, that's a job for early doors.

Anything else? I usually forget stupid things like keys and phone charger. I'll try to remember those.

Do you have all of your toiletries? Shampoo, soap, deodorant, razor, toothbrush? Dish soap, cleaners, sponges, paper towels, toilet paper, kleenex, bandaids.

Check the laundry room for clothes.

Look at the expiration date of those condoms..

Evo said:
Do you have all of your toiletries? Shampoo, soap, deodorant, razor, toothbrush? Dish soap, cleaners, sponges, paper towels, toilet paper, kleenex, bandaids.

Thanks mum! I'd forgotten to pack most of that stuff, speshly the shower gel and toothbrush type of stuff. I remembered my toothbrush charger, just not the toothbrush itself.

arildno said:
Look at the expiration date of those condoms..

09/11. Got another 6 years yet...

Don't forget your toothbrush!

edit: wait nvm :biggrin:

brewnog said:
09/11. Got another 6 years yet...
I certainly hope so, for your own well-being.

My second rule of thumb, the tool you forget to pack will be the first one you need.

hypatia said:
My second rule of thumb, the tool you forget to pack will be the first one you need.

Hah, the last tool I packed was my Leatherman, so that should cover a number of bases. Got a good knife, zip ties, gaffer tape, what more could I possibly need?! :smile:

I've packed every tool I own, except for a few which my grandfather left me which I'll leave up here for now (am I really likely to need a kerf setter in the next few months?).

Kerf setter?
Has that something to do with knives or blades, as in serf cutters? :confused:

It's for bending the teeth on a woodsaw so that they're not parallel to the blade. Alternate teeth should face away from the blade on alternate sides, to promote clearing of debris from the notch, and to prevent the blade from jamming.

So, can you use it on serfs, then?

I just dictionarified 'serf', and discovered that it was 'a person in bondage'.

Uhhhh, I don't know what to say!

brewnog said:
I just dictionarified 'serf', and discovered that it was 'a person in bondage'.

Uhhhh, I don't know what to say!
I referred to meaning 1.
Well, most disappeared in the 14th century or so, but I'm not too sure about the areas around Staffordshire. Perhaps they are still trundling about there.

brewnog said:
I'm moving house tomorrow!

The way you've written it makes it sounds as if you're moving the house.

arildno said:
I referred to meaning 1.
Well, most disappeared in the 14th century or so, but I'm not too sure about the areas around Staffordshire. Perhaps they are still trundling about there.

Quite probably. I've heard that they haven't adopted Sterling as currency yet, and are still trading in pebbles and turnips. They do have electricity, but only after dark, and you have to feed the rats rather well before they'll start running.

loseyourname said:
Good catch!
So why was he so anxious to pack all that stuff?
To ease the burden of his serfs??
I guess that's considerate of you, brewnog.

loseyourname said:

It's how we say it here, I think!

Mind you, we say a lot of things a bit weird like.

I see you've got the toothbrush, did you also forget the toothpaste? And do you have your toilet paper, underwear, deodorant, comb, razor, soap, and bath towels? If you've got all that stuff covered, you can at least dress properly to go out and buy any other essentials you forgot.

What about lamps and lightbulbs? A flashlight and batteries? A laundry sack or basket? Laundry detergent?

Or ID cards (whatever you might need for filling out employment paperwork when you start your job), checkbook or other bank documents?

Got pants, BO-derant and a towel. Found my lovely Petzl head-torch earlier, so that's packed. Laundry sack would be a good idea, but I don't have one. Donations to the usual address, or I'll just use a Tesco bag like at uni...

As for the paperwork, I lost my chequebook a few months ago. I'll be buggered if I know where that is. Never write cheques anyway...

Good point though, what will I need to start work?! I hadn't even thought of that! Why can't my mummy come with me?!

brewnog said:
As for the paperwork, I lost my chequebook a few months ago. I'll be buggered if I know where that is.
Good thing you remembered those condoms then. Nothing jogs your memory better than a good...

arildno said:
Good thing you remembered those condoms then. Nothing jogs your memory better than a good...

Jog?

zwoko! (sp?)

brewnog said:
Jog?

zwoko! (sp?)
I was thinking of that you should arrange a balloon-blowing party, but a jog works equally well, I suppose.

brewnog said:
Jog?

zwoko! (sp?)

Hey, that's zoquo, not zwoko! :rofl:

Why can't my mummy come with me?!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: That is much easier, isn't it?

Got your calculator?

Moonbear said:
Hey, that's zoquo, not zwoko! :rofl:

Cheers Auntie Moonburger.

Got your calculator?

ARRGGHHHHHH! This is doing my head in!

Ok, I'm going to go now. I'll just use my new credit card to buy new ones of whatever I've forgotten when I get there. Eeeeee!

Catch you all when I have an internet connection sorted out! xx

Bye Brewnog! Hurry back!

Good luck, and hope the move goes well. Just plan on having your parents down to visit in a week or two and they can bring along all the stuff you forgot when they do so. :smile:

I don't know how much stuff you have, but I just moved from Wisconsin to Massachusetts (about 1000 miles and I know this is all meaningless since you are in the UK and use metric but I just cannot stop...). The biggest problem we had once we got here was finding what box we put stuff in. As we got closer to moving day, we just started putting things in boxes, anything that would fit in any box. So label boxes extensively. Write everything you put in that box on the box. And if you have reused boxes from previous moves, scratch out old stuff you have written on them. I spent about an hour the other day tearing through all of our storage boxes looking for some textbooks. They happened to be in a box in the bedroom labeled knick-knacks on the top and it was labeled books on the bottom of the box... DOH!