Best use of my time while not in school

• Other
  • Thread starter KvGroOve
  • Start date
  • Tags
    School Time
In summary, the person is a college dropout who is planning to go back to school to finish their degree in Physics. They are considering various options such as volunteering for research, finding an internship, or self-studying while tutoring on the side. They also plan to go overseas during the summer to fulfill their foreign language requirement, but are now reconsidering due to potential tensions in Korea. They are open to other ideas and are seeking advice on how to make the best use of their time to achieve their goal of finding a job or attending graduate school in engineering after graduation.
KvGroOve
Hey guys!

I dropped out of school 1.5 years ago due to my depression during my fourth year of college as a Physics Major at UVa. I had intended to go back into school this semester but due to my carelessness, I missed the re-enrollment deadline and I have a whole semester worth of time on my hands. The course requirements that I have left to graduate is a foreign language competency, E&M II (Griffiths), and a semester of research. I'm planning to go overseas during the summer to obtain my foreign language credits (most likely Korea but open to the idea of other countries) but I have around six months until then.

So, I was wondering what my best move is to maximize my potential of having the greatest success rate post undergraduate school. My goal after I graduate is to either find a job or go to an Engineering graduate school in a field such as Photonics/Spintronics. After thinking about it for a while, I've thought of a few possibilities.

1) Go back to U.Va regardless of missing the re-enrollment deadline and find a sublet that lasts until May/June. Engross myself back into the UVa community and find a professor that would let me do volunteer research where I do not get the research credit but gain valuable experience.

2) Find a volunteer opportunity/internship near the area where I live. I live in Northern Virginia near the D.C. area, close to George Mason University. However, I'm not sure if my credentials are strong enough (being a college dropout and all) to land such an opportunity.

3) Self-study for 5-6 months staying at home. I can maybe make some side cash by tutoring some Physics/Math to high school kids around the area.

I plan to self-study no matter what I do but I'd like to do something else to make the best use of my time. I'm also down for any other ideas that are available to me that I'm not aware of.

Thanks in advance and Happy New Year!

Physics news on Phys.org
KvGroOve said:
I dropped out of school 1.5 years ago due to my depression during my fourth year of college as a Physics Major at UVa.
Sorry to hear that you had to deal with this medical issue. I hope you are feeling better now.
KvGroOve said:
3) Self-study for 5-6 months staying at home. I can maybe make some side cash by tutoring some Physics/Math to high school kids around the area.
That seems like a good option -- it earns you some money and helps you stay sharp in your math and other skills.
KvGroOve said:
I'm planning to go overseas during the summer to obtain my foreign language credits (most likely Korea but open to the idea of other countries)
From a thematic and strategic point of view, I personally would stay away from the Korean peninsula for the next year or two. Hopefully cooler heads will prevail, but please be smart in your life planning.

Likes PhanthomJay
Haha, that completely slipped my mind. I guess it seemed like the most logical conclusion to go to Korea as I share their heritage and have some experience speaking Korean with my mother but getting involved in the tensions there does not seem like a great idea. Thanks for reminding me of that and of your opinion!

Likes berkeman

What are some productive ways to use my time while not in school?

1. Pursue a hobby or passion - Use your free time to explore and develop your interests and talents. This could include learning a new skill, practicing a sport, or creating art.

2. Volunteer - Giving back to your community through volunteer work can not only be fulfilling, but it also looks great on college and job applications.

3. Get a part-time job - Working part-time during school breaks can not only help you earn some extra money, but it also provides valuable work experience.

4. Travel - Use your time off to explore new places and cultures. Traveling can expand your knowledge and perspective on the world.

5. Study for standardized tests - If you have upcoming standardized tests, like the SAT or ACT, use your free time to study and prepare for them. This can improve your scores and increase your chances of getting into your desired college.