Solve the Wave + Lets = Later Equation

• Thread starter arunbg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wave
Dave are discussing a problem where each letter stands for a unique number from 0-9. Warren suggests an equation that results in 9085 + 1567 = 10652. Dave thinks it would be cool if the numbers spelled out a word when arranged in 0-9 format. Warren admits he didn't come up with a word but suggests using a computer program to search for one in the dictionary. In summary, the conversation involves Warren and Dave discussing a problem where each letter represents a number from 0-9, with Warren suggesting a solution and Dave suggesting a program to find a word spelled out by the resulting numbers.
arunbg
In the following problem each distinct letters stands for a unique number from 0 - 9 .

W A V E + L E T S = L A T E R

Can you figure what the right equation is ?

It's not nonsense and is pretty easy.

Physics news on Phys.org
Answer:

9085 + 1567 = 10652

eom

I have to admit, when solving this I was waiting with baited breath to see "the real message" or something. I was half-expecting that when you arranged the letters in 0-9 format, that they might spell a word or something. How cool would that be?

Like, for example: (Yes, I know this doesn't work)

HARES+RATS+GRASS+EAGLES=EGRETS+GIRLS+ANTS+RAISINS

Which, would result in:

52310+3240+93200+129610=193140+97360+2840+3270780

Which, when you arranged the numbers:

And re-translated, you'd get:

EARTHLINGS

I'm too lazy to come up with one that works, but it'd be pretty neat!

DaveE

Did you make that up yourself? Its pretty sweet.

I'd just write a program and let my computer search the dictionary for me.

- Warren

1. What is the "Wave + Lets = Later" equation?

The "Wave + Lets = Later" equation is a mathematical equation that is used to describe the relationship between two variables, where one variable is represented by the word "Wave" and the other variable is represented by the word "Lets". The result of this equation is represented by the word "Later".

2. How do you solve the "Wave + Lets = Later" equation?

To solve the "Wave + Lets = Later" equation, you must first combine the two variables, "Wave" and "Lets", using basic arithmetic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, or division. Once the variables are combined, the resulting value will be equal to the variable "Later". This value can then be used to solve for either "Wave" or "Lets" if needed.

3. Can the "Wave + Lets = Later" equation be used in real-life situations?

Yes, the "Wave + Lets = Later" equation can be used in real-life situations to describe a relationship between two variables. For example, it can be used to describe the relationship between the number of waves in the ocean and the amount of time it takes for the waves to reach the shore.

4. Are there any limitations to the "Wave + Lets = Later" equation?

Like any mathematical equation, the "Wave + Lets = Later" equation has its limitations. It can only be used to describe a linear relationship between two variables, meaning that the relationship between the variables must follow a straight line. It also assumes that the relationship between the variables is constant and does not take into account any external factors that may affect the relationship.

5. What is the significance of the "Wave + Lets = Later" equation in the scientific community?

The "Wave + Lets = Later" equation is a simple yet powerful tool that is used in many scientific fields, such as physics, chemistry, and biology. It allows scientists to describe and analyze the relationships between different variables in a precise and quantitative way. It is also a fundamental concept in mathematics and is used as a building block for more complex equations and theories.