Altitude's effect on pitch of human voice

In summary, the decrease in atmospheric pressure with increasing altitude can affect the frequency of sound, including the voice of a mountaineer. This is because altitude can impact the human respiratory system, leading to changes in vocalization. Additionally, atmospheric pressure plays a role in the propagation of sound, but the primary determinant of frequency is the length of the vocal chords. Thinner air can also affect the sound of one's voice, as seen with inhaling helium, as it changes the density of the medium and can "shorten" the vocal chords.
Loren Booda
Does the decrease in atmospheric pressure with increasing altitude affect frequency of sound, such as that of a mountaineer's voice?

Physics news on Phys.org
Altitude can do several things to the human respiratory system that can change how one talks. So yes, atmospheric pressure can change the way you sound.

That's true, but the atmospheric pressure has as much to do with propogation of the sound as the pitch. The frequency is primarily determined by the length of the vocal chords; the longer they are, the lower the frequency. Thinner air, though, absorbs the energy of the sound before it can go very far.
That's the reason that people sound so 'duckish' after inhaling helium. The change of ambient gas density effectively (but not physically) shortens the chords. That is because the initial vibrations are atttenuated according to the density of the medium that they are propogating through.

edit: Due to more beers than I care to think about, and the interuption of that spamming MF, I think that I screwed up part of this post. I'm sure that my terminology was corrupted. Somebody save my ass, please.

edit: Mentors... I certainly understand why my rather heated response to that spamming f********* was deleted, but why is the object of my wrath still here? Did you check out that link?

edit: Been taken care of by Mentors; carry on...

Last edited:

1. How does altitude affect the pitch of the human voice?

As altitude increases, the air becomes thinner and less dense. This means that sound waves travel faster and with less resistance, resulting in a higher pitch.

2. Can altitude affect the pitch of a person's voice permanently?

No, altitude only has a temporary effect on the pitch of a person's voice. Once the person returns to a lower altitude, their voice will return to its normal pitch.

3. Is there a specific altitude where the pitch of the human voice changes?

There is no specific altitude where the pitch of the human voice changes. It is a gradual change as the altitude increases.

4. Does altitude affect everyone's voice in the same way?

No, altitude can affect individuals differently depending on factors such as vocal range, lung capacity, and acclimation to high altitudes.

5. Are there any permanent changes in the voice that occur with prolonged exposure to high altitudes?

No, there are no permanent changes in the voice that occur with prolonged exposure to high altitudes. However, individuals may experience temporary changes in their singing voice due to the thinner air at high altitudes.