Magnetic Force on A Curved Current Carrying Wire

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the magnetic force on a current carrying wire that is curved along the equator of a sphere. The book mentions that the magnetic force on a curved wire is the same as a straight wire with the same current. However, this depends on the assumptions made about the magnetic field, which in this case is uniform and horizontal. The curved wire runs along the sphere while the magnetic field runs uniformly beneath it in a horizontal plane.
astralboy15
Ok, just a quick question. I'm working through a problem in my physics book and I am asked to find the magnetic force on a current carrying wire that runs along the equator of a sphere. So the wire is not straight, but curves along with the sphere, off the surface of it (not levitating).

My book also mentions that the magnetic force on a curved current carrying wire is the same as the magnetic force on a straight wire connecting the either end with the same current.

My question is this:

Am I to assume that if I only have the CURVED portion of wire (there is nothing connecting either end) that I could simply find the magnetic force of a straight wire of the same length and they would have the same magnetic force acting on them?

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on the magnetic field, which you haven't told us anything about. The claim the book makes about the forces being equal probably relies on assumptions about the magnetic field, like it being uniform and the wires lying in a plane perpendicular to the field.

Ok, true, my bad - forgot to put that bit in. The magnetic field is uniform. It is also horizontal.
Think of the curved portion of the wire (elevated, not levitated, along the sphere) then the magnetic field running uniformly beneath it in a horizontal plane. In other words, look at this, +, and imagine this being a cartesian coordinate system: the magnetic force is running from -y to y (in a horizontal plane), the wire curves along the sphere with current running -x to x.

hope this helps. thanks guys!

Related to Magnetic Force on A Curved Current Carrying Wire

1. What is magnetic force on a curved current carrying wire?

Magnetic force on a curved current carrying wire is the force exerted on a wire that carries electric current in a curved shape when placed in a magnetic field. This force is perpendicular to both the direction of the current and the magnetic field.

2. How is the direction of the magnetic force determined?

The direction of the magnetic force is determined by using the right-hand rule. If the thumb of the right hand points in the direction of the current and the fingers point in the direction of the magnetic field, then the palm of the hand will point in the direction of the magnetic force.

3. What factors affect the strength of the magnetic force on a curved current carrying wire?

The strength of the magnetic force on a curved current carrying wire depends on the strength of the magnetic field, the magnitude of the electric current, and the length of the wire. Increasing any of these factors will result in a stronger magnetic force.

4. How does the shape of the wire affect the magnetic force?

The shape of the wire can affect the magnetic force by changing the direction of the force. For example, a straight wire in a magnetic field will experience a force in one direction, while a curved wire in the same field may experience a force in a different direction.

5. What are some real-world applications of magnetic force on a curved current carrying wire?

Magnetic force on a curved current carrying wire is utilized in various technologies, such as electric motors, generators, and particle accelerators. It is also used in medical imaging techniques like MRI machines, which use magnetic fields to produce images of the body's internal structures.