Why do aromatics fluoresce & scintillate?

• Thread starter Keep_i_real
  • Start date
In summary, the fluorescence and scintillation properties of aromatics are due to their extended pi electron system and the addition of anthracene to promote resonance energy transfer, which increases the quantum efficiency of the scintillator material. This allows for the emission of multiple scintillation photons from a single X-ray photoelectric interaction.
Keep_i_real
I'm currently trying to figure out exactly why aromatics (e.g. polyvinyl toluene [PVT], polystyrene [PS], anthracene) fluoresce and scintillate...

I know that its got something to do with the pi system causing dense clouds of electrons to form in the ring(s), and that the addition of a methyl group to PS [i.e. PVT] increases the density of electrons in the ring which is why PVT is generally more widely used than PS in plastic scintillators (albeit with them both doped slightly with anthracene)...

Also, why are PS / PVT scintillators usually doped with anthracene? I'm thinking something along the lines of resonance energy transfer to improve quantum efficiency.

Beyond that, I can't quite fathom why this allows it to scintillate...

My understanding of fluorescence is that excited electrons/atoms/molecules relax thermally to S1, then a proportion of those relax with emission from S1 -> S0 - so why would several scintillation photons be produced by a single X-ray photoelectric interation?
Does the photoelectron then excite many more electrons, or does it just emit several photons as it relaxes (e.g. S3->S2 then S2->S1, S1->S0)?

Thanks in advance, and if you could advise me on any relevant books / papers, that would be great!

Apologies if there's any massive misuses of terminology above, I'm more of a physicist than a chemist (and I originally wrote this with the intent of posting on Yahoo Answers...).

-Mark

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
The fluorescence and scintillation properties of aromatics are related to the fact that they possess an extended pi electron system, which leads to efficient transition between electronic energy levels. In the case of PVT and PS, when exposed to X-rays, the electrons of the aromatic molecule can be excited to higher energy levels. As these electrons relax back to the ground state, they emit light in the form of fluorescence photons. Anthracene is added to PVT and PS to promote a more efficient transition from the excited state to the ground state, which is known as resonance energy transfer. This helps to increase the quantum efficiency of the scintillator material, meaning more scintillation photons per X-ray photon. In addition to the fluorescence process, the excited electrons in aromatics can also undergo a process known as intersystem crossing, in which they transition from a singlet state to a triplet state before finally returning to the ground state. This process is slower than the fluorescence process, but it can lead to the emission of multiple scintillation photons from a single X-ray photoelectric interaction. For further reading, I suggest looking into the literature on molecular fluorescence and scintillation. Some good books to start with are Fluorescence Spectroscopy by J.R. Lakowicz and Molecular Luminescence Spectroscopy by E. Mataga and T. Kubo.

1. Why do some aromatics have the ability to fluoresce and scintillate?

The fluorescence and scintillation of aromatics is due to their unique electronic structure. These compounds contain conjugated pi electron systems, which allow them to absorb and emit light at specific wavelengths.

2. How does fluorescence and scintillation occur in aromatics?

When light of a particular wavelength is absorbed by an aromatic compound, it causes the excitation of electrons to higher energy levels. As these electrons return to their ground state, they emit light at a longer wavelength, resulting in fluorescence. Scintillation is the emission of light due to the de-excitation of excited electrons in aromatic compounds.

3. Do all aromatics fluoresce and scintillate?

No, not all aromatics have the ability to fluoresce and scintillate. The presence of conjugated pi electron systems is necessary for this phenomenon to occur. Aromatics with highly delocalized pi electrons, such as polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, are more likely to exhibit fluorescence and scintillation.

4. What factors can affect the fluorescence and scintillation of aromatics?

The fluorescence and scintillation of aromatics can be affected by various factors, including the structure and size of the aromatic compound, the presence of functional groups, and the polarity of the surrounding environment. Additionally, the excitation wavelength and intensity of the incident light can also play a role.

5. What are the applications of fluorescence and scintillation in aromatics?

The ability of aromatics to fluoresce and scintillate has various practical applications. It is used in fields such as analytical chemistry, material science, and biomedical imaging. It is also utilized in the detection and measurement of pollutants and contaminants in the environment.