Cdf (Cumulative Density Function) Confusion

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of a kinked pdf and the use of s as a variable of integration and a bound of integration. There is a correction made to the definition of F(s) and an explanation of the fundamental theorem of calculus is given. The use of s as a variable in both the integration and the function is deemed to be incorrect and should be changed.
JoshMaths
Hi there,

So regular i thought that the procedure was
F(s) = ∫s0 f(x) dx

However i am doing a problem with a kinked pdf and it is telling me to do something like

F(s) = ∫s0 f(s) ds for 0=<s>=1/2

then...
F(s) = F(1/2) + ∫s1/2 f(s) ds

I am confused at the process of using f(x) or f(s) in the integral and the situation with kinked pdfs, if someone can shed some light on this i would be greatful.

Thanks,
Josh

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know what the definition of a kinked pdf is, but a couple of corrections -

The usual definition is
[tex] F(s) = \int_{-\infty}^{s} f(x) dx [/tex]
Your definition only works if you know [itex]f(x) = 0 [/itex] for all x<0

After that you have s as a variable of integration and as a bound of integration - be careful not to do that!

The last equation you wrote though is just an application of the fundamental theorem of calculus. Once you have F(s) defined either by your integral or mine, we get that
[tex] F'(s) = f(s) [/tex]
And therefore for all a and b
[tex] F(b) - F(a) = \int_{a}^{b} f(x) dx [/tex]
In particular if a = 1/2 and b=s we get
[tex] F(s) - F(1/2) = \int_{1/2}^{s} f(x) dx [/tex]
Adding F(1/2) to both sides gives your final equation

In my university module they define a kinked pdf as a pdf having two functions over differing ranges.

I agree with everything you put here thanks. If you have a look at my solution paper you see that the s variable is part of the integration range and also the function, does this mean that they are wrong?

DUhFJp1.jpg

Using s to mean two different things in the same equation is usually frowned upon - I would change it so the variable inside the integral is different.

No i agree i was just confused as these are university lecturers writing this, they shouldn't really be giving bad practices.

1. What is a cumulative density function (CDF)?

A cumulative density function (CDF) is a mathematical function that represents the cumulative probability distribution of a random variable. It shows the probability that a given value or set of values will occur.

2. How is a CDF different from a probability density function (PDF)?

A CDF represents the cumulative probability distribution, while a PDF represents the probability density. In other words, the CDF shows the probability of getting a value less than or equal to a certain point, while the PDF shows the probability of getting a specific value.

3. What are the main uses of a CDF?

A CDF is commonly used in statistics and probability to analyze and interpret data. It can be used to calculate the probability of an event occurring, determine the median and other percentiles of a distribution, and compare the distributions of different variables.

4. How is a CDF calculated?

A CDF is calculated by summing up the probabilities of all values less than or equal to a given point. It can also be calculated by integrating the probability density function.

5. How can CDF confusion be avoided?

CDF confusion can be avoided by understanding the differences between a CDF and a PDF, and knowing how to interpret and calculate a CDF. It is also important to use the correct terminology and clearly define the variables being used in the CDF calculation.