Joe's Question: Nitrogen Organic Structure Property

In summary, the poster is seeking help in understanding the structural properties of a substance A with the molecular formula C7H7O2N. They have provided three pieces of information - A reacts with sodium carbonate to give off CO2, forms a colored complex with copper (II) cations, and is unable to undergo addition reactions easily. The conversation also includes a suggestion to search ChemFinder for more information. A possible candidate for the substance is ortho/meta/para aminobenzoic acid, which is acidic and can release CO2 when reacted with a carbonate, as well as form a precipitate with copper. The inability to undergo addition reactions could be explained by the presence of two groups on a benzene cycle.
josephcollins
Hi ppl, I have this question. I have the MF of a substance A : C7H7O2N. I have three pieces of info which should indicate a structural property of this substance:i) A reacts with sodium carbonate to give off CO2. I thought this might indicate an ionic structure? then ii) A will form a coloured complex ion with copper (II) cations. I didn't know what this suggested really I'm afraid and finally:iii) A is unable to undergo addition reactions easily. Could someone help me with this?

Thanks, Joe

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Ortho/meta/para aminobenzoic acid is a candidate...It's an acid,gives off [itex] CO_{2} [/itex] when reacted with a carbonate.It should precipitate copper.As for addition,i think those 2 groups to a benzene cycle could account for it...

Daniel.

search chemfinder to get some suggestions, and make a follow up here...show some effort.

http://www.chemfinder.com

you'll need to register first, it's free and fast.

dextercioby said:
Ortho/meta/para aminobenzoic acid is a candidate...It's an acid,gives off [itex] CO_{2} [/itex] when reacted with a carbonate.It should precipitate copper.As for addition,i think those 2 groups to a benzene cycle could account for it...

Well, here you spoilt the opportunity to first pedagogically ask why the poster connects the release of CO2 to ionicity, followed by a discussion (trying to make the poster learn by being confused since we ask him/her if he/she really believes in a certain thing - or in the opposite :devil: ) which then eventually and hopefully could lead to a conclusion that the substance might very well be acidic. :mad:
The other things are less elementary, though.

1. What is the structure of nitrogen in organic compounds?

Nitrogen in organic compounds is typically bonded to other atoms, such as carbon, hydrogen, or oxygen, in a variety of ways. These bonds can be single, double, or triple bonds, resulting in different structural arrangements.

2. How does the nitrogen structure affect the properties of organic compounds?

The structure of nitrogen in organic compounds can affect properties such as solubility, reactivity, and stability. For example, a double bond between nitrogen and carbon can make a compound more reactive, while a triple bond can make it more stable.

3. What are some common properties of organic compounds containing nitrogen?

Organic compounds containing nitrogen can have a wide range of properties, depending on their specific structure. Some common properties include being polar, having a high boiling point, and being able to form hydrogen bonds.

4. How do chemists study the properties of nitrogen in organic compounds?

Chemists use a variety of techniques, such as spectroscopy and chromatography, to study the properties of nitrogen in organic compounds. These methods allow them to analyze the chemical structure and behavior of these compounds.

5. Can the properties of organic compounds with nitrogen be manipulated?

Yes, the properties of organic compounds with nitrogen can be manipulated by changing their structure or by introducing other functional groups. Chemists can design and synthesize new compounds with specific properties for various applications.