Frictional Force and µk problem

In summary, the conversation is about finding the frictional force and kinetic coefficient of a brick on an inclined plane. The person asking the question has attempted to use equations but is unsure how to find both values. The other person explains that the frictional force can be found by understanding the forces acting on the brick, specifically the component normal to the slope. The maximum frictional force can be found at the un-stick angle. The dynamic coefficient is a lesser value than the static coefficient and when the brick is moving, the available force for acceleration is the remaining force after subtracting friction. The person asking the question eventually understands and is asked to demonstrate their understanding by providing the formula or expression used to find the force down the slope.
Senseiofj

Homework Statement

A brick is on a 121 cm plank, and the plank is lifted gradually until the brick begins to slide, when the plank is lifted 48cm in the air at an angle of 30º. I need to find the Frictional Force, and µ kinetic.
How do I find these things knowing only these three things?

Homework Equations

Ff=(µk)(Fn) let Fn= Normal Force
F=ma
g=9.81 m/s/s
Fn=mg(Cosø)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using the first equation I mentioned, but was unable to figure how to get both values.
Help is much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a diagram showing all the forces acting on the brick at the moment just before it begins to slide. What must the net force be in any direction?

You already have the force normal to the surface. You need the other component as well.

I think I should do this working purely without numbers, so I can just plug my figures in, I suppose.

I have the height of the end of the plank when the brick started sliding, the length of the plank, Speed of the brick, Mass, Weight, Fn, and the Fp [the force in the plane], I also have µ static. How do I find Ff and µk?

Identify the forces acting on the brick. Apply Newton's 2nd law to the forces parallel to the incline.

Er - speed of brick? no. The question is "What is the frictional force?"

As the plane is tipped steeper, there is a force component in the direction down the plane. There is another force component in the direction normal to the plane. They both derive from the force (from gravity) acting vertically downwards.

The solution is very easy once you take the major step of understanding the forces. You already have the component normal to the slope. This component, multiplied by the coefficient of friction usually called [tex] \mu[/tex] will be the force of friction resisting movement down that slope. It is the bit you do not have!

You do have the way to get at the frictional force. It has to equal the force down that slope, (because the brick stays put!) Eventually, you discover its maximum at the un-stick angle. Get that, and you have one of the required answers. Getting at the (unknown) coefficient of friction then follows.

The static coefficient is the one that decides where the brick un-sticks. The dynamic coefficient a lesser value, (not so steep slope required). This is when the brick is moving. A special case is when the speed is steady. If accelerating, the available force to do that accelerating is what is left over after subtracting the friction.

Now we ask that you actually get to grips with the forces diagram, and demonstrate that you can take that step. It really is the one necessary and key bit of knowledge this question requires.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot, man. I get it now.

OK then - so post the answer of what you think the force is down the slope, or better, the formula expression that you used to figure it.

1. What is frictional force?

Frictional force is a force that opposes the motion of an object when it comes into contact with another object or surface. It is caused by the microscopic roughness of the two surfaces rubbing against each other.

2. How is frictional force calculated?

The magnitude of frictional force can be calculated using the equation F = µN, where µ is the coefficient of friction and N is the normal force exerted on the object by the surface it is in contact with.

3. What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction, denoted by µ, is a dimensionless quantity that represents the amount of friction between two surfaces. It depends on the nature of the surfaces in contact and the force pressing them together.

4. What is the difference between static and kinetic friction?

Static friction is the force that prevents two stationary surfaces from moving against each other, while kinetic friction is the force that opposes the motion of two surfaces that are already moving against each other. The coefficient of static friction is typically higher than the coefficient of kinetic friction.

5. How can the coefficient of kinetic friction be determined experimentally?

The coefficient of kinetic friction can be determined experimentally by measuring the force required to keep an object moving at a constant velocity on a horizontal surface. The ratio of this force to the normal force is equal to the coefficient of kinetic friction.