Force on a Charged Bead Near a Line Charge

In summary, the problem involves a uniformly charged thin glass rod and a small plastic bead with opposite charges. The magnitude of the force on the bead can be calculated using the equation dF = (k dq)/r^{2}, where dq represents the charge per unit of distance. The usual method for solving such problems is to use the concept of a line charge and integrate from 0 to 5 and then double the result. Further calculations are needed to find the final answer.
lat3ralus65

Homework Statement

A 10-cm long thin glass rod is uniformly charged to +50 nC. A small plastic bead, charged to - 5.2 nC, is 4.1 cm from the center of the rod. What is the magnitude of the force on the bead?

Homework Equations

dF = (k dq)/r[tex]^{2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've gotten to this point:

dF sin [tex]\theta[/tex] = k[tex]\lambda[/tex] * (dx/(h[tex]^{2}[/tex] + x[tex]^{2}[/tex])[tex]^{3/2}[/tex]) * (h/[tex]\sqrt{h^{2} + x^{2}}[/tex])

and I understand fairly well how and why. But now I have no idea where to go from here, aside from the fact that I have to integrate at some point. I know the two halves of the rod are equivalent so I can integrate from 0 to 5 and double (right?).

What do I do? :grumpy:

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
Hootenanny said:
Furthermore, your initial equation should involve a distance element (dz), rather than a charge element (dq).
Isn't he using the line charge concept ? I guess so : dq = pdz, where the p denotes the charge per unit of distance.

marlon

marlon said:
Isn't he using the line charge concept ? I guess so : dq = pdz, where the p denotes the charge per unit of distance.

marlon
Now you mention it, yes it does :redface:. I'll go and put another coffee on...

1. What is force due to a line charge?

The force due to a line charge is the force experienced by a charged particle when placed in the electric field created by a charged line, also known as a linear charge distribution.

2. How is force due to a line charge calculated?

The force due to a line charge is calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the force between two charges is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of force due to a line charge?

The magnitude of force due to a line charge is affected by the magnitude of the charges involved, the distance between them, and the medium in which the charges are located.

4. Can the direction of force due to a line charge change?

Yes, the direction of force due to a line charge can change depending on the relative positions of the charged particle and the line charge. If the charged particle is placed at different points along the line, the direction of the force will change accordingly.

5. How is the direction of force due to a line charge determined?

The direction of force due to a line charge is determined by the direction of the electric field at the location of the charged particle. The electric field lines point away from positive charges and towards negative charges, so the direction of force due to a line charge will be in the same direction as the electric field at that point.