The expectation of 'z' and 'x+iy'

• Thread starter vertices
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Expectation
In summary, the conversation is about evaluating the dipole transition matrix for hydrogen wavefunctions in order to understand how radiation is polarized. The calculation involves resolving 'r' into two components and using a spherical harmonic equal to sine theta times e to the power of i*varphi. The expectation for x+iy is equal to Y(l=1, m=1) and the expectation for z is equal to r times Y(l=1, m=0). Consultation of a table of 3-j symbols may be necessary for more complex cases.
vertices
can anyone give me any ideas on how to evaluate this:

<z>=<[tex]\Phi[/tex]1|z|[tex]\Phi[/tex]2>

(for say hydrogen wavefunctions). Similarly

<x+iy>=<[tex]\Phi[/tex]1|x+iy|[tex]\Phi[/tex]2>

FYI, I'm trying to understand how radiation is polarised (an external B field polarises radiation, so we must consider the dipole transition matrix thus:

<r>=<[tex]\Phi[/tex]1|r|[tex]\Phi[/tex]2>

so I am simply resolving 'r' into two components (in the xy plane and z axis).

Physics news on Phys.org
The only hard part in the calculation is knowing [tex]\left\langle r \right\rangle[/tex],
from which
[tex]x = r \sin\theta \cos\varphi[/tex]
[tex]y = r \sin\theta \sin\varphi[/tex].
Can you think of a spherical harmonic equal to [tex]\sin\theta e^{i\varphi}[/tex]? Then you need to know how to compute [tex]\left\langle Y^\ell_m\right\rangle[/tex], which is easy enough for simple cases, but if you want you can consult a table of 3-j symbols.

That should be all that you need.

Good luck.

aah, that's clever. thanks Ibrits.

for hydrogen like wavefunctions, x+iy=[tex]\sin\theta e^{i\varphi}[/tex]=Y(l=1,m=1) so yeah its just the expectation of that.

what about the expectation of z?

I assume you know the representation of [tex]z[/tex] in spherical coordinates. I also assume you have a table of spherical harmonics handy. It shouldn't be hard to figure the rest out =)

oh i see, i was being really stupid (as per usual)... z=rcos(theta), so its just <r><Y1,0>. thanks:)

1. What is the expectation of 'z'?

The expectation of 'z' is the average or mean value of the complex variable 'z'. It is calculated by taking the sum of all possible values of 'z' and dividing it by the total number of values.

2. What is the expectation of 'x+iy'?

The expectation of 'x+iy' is the average or mean value of the real and imaginary parts of the complex number 'x+iy'. It is calculated by taking the sum of all possible values of 'x+iy' and dividing it by the total number of values.

3. How is the expectation of 'z' and 'x+iy' different from each other?

The expectation of 'z' and 'x+iy' are similar in that they both represent the average value of a complex variable. However, the expectation of 'z' is only for the complex variable while the expectation of 'x+iy' takes into account both the real and imaginary parts of the complex number.

4. Why is calculating the expectation of 'z' and 'x+iy' important?

Calculating the expectation of 'z' and 'x+iy' allows us to understand the central tendency of the complex variable or complex number. It can help us make predictions and analyze data in various fields such as physics, engineering, and finance.

5. Can the expectation of 'z' and 'x+iy' be used to measure variability?

No, the expectation of 'z' and 'x+iy' only represents the average value and does not take into account the spread or variability of the complex variable or complex number. Other measures such as variance and standard deviation are needed to measure variability.