Business Calculus or Finite Mathematics

In summary, the conversation is about a student majoring in Economics who wants to work in the international or bond rating field after graduating from university. The student is deciding between taking Finite Mathematics or Business Calculus, and is advised to take the latter course.
Philoctetes3
I'm at university, majoring in Economics. After university I'd like to get a job either on the international side of things or working doing something like bond rating, all on the macro level. I have plans to take actual calculus, but am currently forced to take one of the two, and am just trying to figure out which would be the best choice.

Thanks.

Course Descriptions
Finite Mathematics
This course is intended for students in business, economics, or social and life sciences with applications from these fields. Topics covered include vectors, determinants, matrices, systems of inequalities, linear programming, simplex method, logic and Boolean algebra, sets and counting, probability theory, stochastic processes, Markov processes and the mathematics of finance

Business Calculus
This course presents an elementary treatment of topics from differential and integral calculus. It is intended primarily for students in the fields of business and social science

Physics news on Phys.org
Take the first course, trust me on this. Take actual calculus when you get to it.

What is Business Calculus?

Business Calculus is a branch of mathematics that combines the concepts of calculus with real-world applications in business and economics. It focuses on solving practical problems, such as optimization, marginal analysis, and economic forecasting.

What is Finite Mathematics?

Finite Mathematics is a branch of mathematics that deals with finite or discrete quantities. It includes topics such as set theory, combinatorics, probability, and statistics. It is often used in fields such as business, computer science, and engineering to solve real-world problems.

How is Business Calculus different from traditional Calculus?

Business Calculus is similar to traditional Calculus in terms of concepts and techniques, but it focuses on applying them to real-world scenarios. It also has a stronger emphasis on optimization and economic applications, while traditional Calculus is more theoretical and abstract.

Is Business Calculus or Finite Mathematics more useful for a career in business?

Both Business Calculus and Finite Mathematics have their own unique applications in the business world. Business Calculus is more focused on optimization and economic analysis, while Finite Mathematics is useful for decision-making and statistical analysis. It is beneficial to have knowledge of both in order to have a well-rounded skill set for a career in business.

How can I prepare for a course in Business Calculus or Finite Mathematics?

It is recommended to have a strong foundation in algebra and basic calculus concepts before taking a course in Business Calculus or Finite Mathematics. It may also be helpful to familiarize yourself with real-world business scenarios and applications of mathematics in business. Practicing with sample problems and seeking help from a tutor or professor can also aid in preparation for these courses.