Transforming Linear Algebra: How to Find the Matrix Representation

In summary: For question 2, this is a little more complicated. You need to show that the dimension of the reduced matrix is 2, because that's the only way you can get a vector in W that can be written as a linear combination of the { T(v1), ... , T(vn)}'s. But first, you need to show that the reduced matrix is actually reduced. To do that, you need to show that every vector in W can be written as a linear combination of the {v_1, v_2, ..., v_n}'s. But that's not so easy. To do it, you would need to use the fact that the matrix is invertible. Once you
student64
1. Let V and W be finite dimensional vector spaces with dim(v) = dim(w). Let {v1,v2,...,vn} be a basis for V. If T:V->W is a one to one linear transformation, determine if {T(v1), T(v2), ... , T(vn)} is a basis for W.

2. How do i get a matrix out of this: Let A be an 8x5 matrix with columns a1, a2, a3, a4, a5, where a1, a3, and a5 form a linearly independent set and a2=2*a1+3*a5, and a4=a1-a3+2*a5.

I have looked all over, and I have starts to each of these problems, any help would be received with much thanks.

So far, for 1. I know that it is true by a theorem I found, but I am really unsure how to prove it.

on 2. I made a matrix like this

1 2 0 1 0
0 0 1 -1 0
0 3 0 2 1

I reduced it and came up with the answer that the dimension of NulA is 2 because it reduces to having 2 free variables.

If this is the wrong way to get the matrix A, how do I do it?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's a hint for #1:

You will need to use the fact that f is one-to-one. You want to show that any w in W can be written as a linear comibination of the { T(v1), ... , T(vn) }. Well, if f is one-to-one, what can you say about [tex]f^{-1}(w)[/tex]? Moreover, any v (such that f(v) = w) can be written as a linear combination of v1 through vn. What happens when you evaluate f(v) ?

student64 said:
2. How do i get a matrix out of this: Let A be an 8x5 matrix with columns a1, a2, a3, a4, a5, where a1, a3, and a5 form a linearly independent set and a2=2*a1+3*a5, and a4=a1-a3+2*a5.

on 2. I made a matrix like this

1 2 0 1 0
0 0 1 -1 0
0 3 0 2 1

I reduced it and came up with the answer that the dimension of NulA is 2 because it reduces to having 2 free variables.

If this is the wrong way to get the matrix A, how do I do it?

Thanks.

You're constructing it right, but that's not an 8x5! It's a 3x5 (sometimes I get confused on which are rows/columns).

For question 1, show that { T(v1), ... , T(vn) } is linearly independent and then you're done.

How would I go about doing that?

Right now, I'm trying to find an answer using the invertible matrix theorem.

for 1 - if T is linear from V-->W, linearly independent subsets of V always map to linearly independent subsets of W. Since you have a basis for V, it's linearly independent. All you really have to show is that the LI subset you get in W is actually a basis for W. But since the dim(V)=dim(W)=n, you mapped n LI vectors to an LI subset with n vectors. Therefore, you have a basis.

If you have to, make a lemma for the part that LI subsets of V map to LI subsets of W (you need the injectivity (1-1) of T for this part). It's pretty easy to show with a proof by contradiction if you get stuck.

Given a vector space U with basis [itex]\{u_1, u_2, ..., u_n}[/itex], a vector space V with basis [itex]\{v_1, v_2, ..., v_n\}[/itex], and a linear transformation, T, from U to V, a standard way of writing T as a matrix (with respect to those bases) is to apply T to each basis vector,[itex]u_1, u_2, ..., u_n[/itex] in turn. Applying T to [itex]u_i[/itex] will give a vector in V which can be written as a linear combination , [itex]a_1v_1+ a_2v_2+ ...+ a_nv_n[/itex]. Those coefficients, [itex]a_1, a_2, ... a_n[/itex] are the numbers in the i row of the matrix.

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of vector spaces and linear transformations between those spaces. It involves the use of matrices, vectors, and systems of linear equations to solve problems related to geometry, physics, engineering, and other fields.

2. How is linear algebra used in real life?

Linear algebra has many practical applications in various fields such as computer graphics, data analysis, signal processing, and machine learning. It is used to solve problems involving systems of linear equations, optimization, and eigenvalue problems.

3. What are the basic concepts in linear algebra?

The basic concepts in linear algebra include vector spaces, linear transformations, matrices, determinants, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and systems of linear equations. These concepts are fundamental in understanding more complex topics in linear algebra.

4. What are the benefits of learning linear algebra?

Learning linear algebra can help develop critical thinking skills and problem-solving abilities. It is also essential for understanding and working with more advanced mathematical concepts and applications in various fields.

5. Is linear algebra difficult to learn?

Linear algebra can be challenging at first, but with consistent practice and a solid understanding of the basic concepts, it can become easier to grasp. It is recommended to start with the fundamentals and gradually progress to more complex topics.