Motion of two objects in a perfectly inelastic collision

In summary, when two equal mass and size spheres moving at the same speed in opposite directions collide, it may seem that they would come to a complete stop due to the equal mass and speed. However, this is not the case. In a perfectly inelastic collision, the initial kinetic energy is transformed into heat or potential energy of deformation. This means that the spheres would deform upon impact, causing a displacement and deceleration over a small distance. The harder the material of the spheres, the smaller the displacement. In an elastic collision, the potential energy of deformation transforms back into kinetic energy and the spheres would fly apart. In a perfectly inelastic collision, the spheres would stick together. This phenomenon is similar to a car crash, where
mahela007
Imagine two small metal spheres of equal mass and size moving at the same speed in opposite direction collide with each other. Logically (without doing the math) it seems that both spheres will collide and just stop "dead" (because of equal mass and speed). I don't know whether I made a fundamental oversight in not actually calculating the results but I have a problem with the phenomenon I state above.

If the spheres collide and stop, then they would have stopped in no distance at all... that is and infinitely large deceleration. That would require an infinite force.. We know an infinitely large force is not generated in this instance so obviously the spheres wouldn't just stop instantly.. they would decelerate over a small (perhaps tiny) distance...
Where does this distance "come from"? they don't pass into each other so one would be lead to assume that the spheres were deformed... can deformation account for this discrepancy? and if so.. just out of curiosity... what if the spheres were made out of a very hard substance like diamond? ( $$ )

Physics news on Phys.org
In a perfectly inelastic collision the initial kinetic energy is transformed into heat or potential energy of deformation. In the latter case the deformation displacement delta_x is determined with the initial kinetic energy and the coefficient of elasticity. Also, deceleration takes time. The harder material is, the smaller the displacement.

If you consider elastic collisions, then, after deformation the potential energy of deformation transforms into kinetic energy and two ball fly apart.

well from the momentum equation

mu-mu=2mvf → vf=0

But in an perfectly inelastic collision, the objects coalesce or stick together. So they'd have to deform really. If they could not deform for some reason then the final momentum would also be zero but the objects could move off with a velocities v1 and v2.

Like an example is a car crash, both can be going at the same velocity in opposite directions but when they crash (perfectly inelastically) they'd crumple up and stick together.

in other words.. what I said in my first post just won't happen..

1. How is the motion of two objects in a perfectly inelastic collision different from a perfectly elastic collision?

In a perfectly inelastic collision, the two objects stick together and move as one after the collision, whereas in a perfectly elastic collision, the two objects bounce off each other and maintain their individual velocities.

2. What is the equation for calculating the final velocity of two objects in a perfectly inelastic collision?

The equation is vf = (m1v1 + m2v2) / (m1 + m2), where m1 and m2 are the masses of the objects and v1 and v2 are their initial velocities.

3. Can the final velocity of two objects in a perfectly inelastic collision ever be greater than the initial velocity of one of the objects?

No, the final velocity of the two objects will always be less than or equal to the initial velocity of one of the objects.

4. How does the law of conservation of momentum apply to a perfectly inelastic collision?

The law of conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. In a perfectly inelastic collision, the total momentum of the two objects before and after the collision remains the same.

5. What are some real-life examples of a perfectly inelastic collision?

Some examples include a car crashing into a wall, a ball sticking to a surface after being thrown, and two clay balls colliding and sticking together.