Unknown in discrete variable problem

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the value of c in the probability function for a random variable X, where the range of X is unbounded. The solution involves normalizing the probability function and using the fact that the sum of all possible values of X equals 1. The value of c is found to be 1/e, and there is a brief discussion about the definition of a discrete random variable and its range. The conclusion is that the range of X in this case is countably infinite.
buddingscientist
Let X be a random variable with probability function:
[itex]fx(x) = c/x!, x = 0, 1, 2, ...[/itex]

Find c.

By first guess was to form the sum:
[itex]\sum_{i=0}^{x} c/i! = 1[/itex]
But I have no idea if that's the right approach or how to proceed.

Physics news on Phys.org
Probably you have to normalize the probability function, in other words the total probability should be 1:

[tex] \sum_{x=0}^{\infty} f(x) = 1 [/tex]

This is easy because:

[tex] \sum_{x=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{x!} = e [/tex]

ahhh!
stupid me wasn't aware of that result, thanks heaps for that.

thanks, [itex] c = 1/e[/itex] for anyone whos interested. I was able to complete the other problems relating to this question.

however I have one small problem, in my studies I've learned "a random variable X will be defined to be discrete if the range of X is countable" - introduction to theory of statistics (mood). but since the values of X was unbounded in the question (X = 0, 1, 2, ...) i.e: [itex]Z+[/itex] that is uncountable. ?

Last edited:
buddingscientist said:
however I have one small problem, in my studies I've learned "a random variable X will be defined to be discrete if the range of X is countable" - introduction to theory of statistics (mood). but since the values of X was unbounded in the question (X = 0, 1, 2, ...) i.e: [itex]Z+[/itex] that is uncountable. ?
Does countable mean finite or countably infinite? It almost surely means countably infinite. The nonnegative integers are easily seen to be countable:
{1, 2, 3, ...}
{0, 1, 2, ...}
I can't read your original question, so if you meant something else by "unbounded", sorry, but the nonnegative integers are bounded below by 0.

What is an "Unknown in discrete variable problem"?

An unknown in discrete variable problem refers to a situation where the value or outcome of a variable is not known or cannot be measured precisely, but can only take on specific, distinct values. This can occur in various fields such as mathematics, statistics, and computer science.

What are some examples of unknown in discrete variable problems?

Examples of unknown in discrete variable problems include determining the number of people who will attend an event, predicting the outcome of a sports game, and estimating the number of customers who will purchase a certain product.

How do scientists deal with unknown in discrete variable problems?

Scientists use various techniques and methods, such as probability theory, statistical analysis, and machine learning, to analyze and make predictions for unknown in discrete variable problems. They also rely on data collection and experimentation to gather more information about the variable.

What are the challenges of working with unknown in discrete variable problems?

One of the main challenges of working with unknown in discrete variable problems is the uncertainty and unpredictability of the outcomes. This can make it difficult to make accurate predictions and can also lead to a wide range of potential results.

Why is it important for scientists to study unknown in discrete variable problems?

Studying unknown in discrete variable problems allows scientists to better understand and analyze complex systems and phenomena. It also helps in making informed decisions and predictions, which can have significant impacts in various fields such as economics, healthcare, and engineering.