What's this problem talking about?

• Thread starter AznBoi
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the efficiency of bicycling and walking as means of transportation and the comparison of their energy consumption with travel by car. The problem involves converting units, specifically kcal/h into J/gal, and finding the fuel economy for walking and cycling. The necessary conversion factors and values are provided in the problem.
AznBoi
I've come across a problem and I have no idea on how to solve it.. I know it involves converting units but how do you convert kcal/h into J/gal? Please take your time to help me get started. Thanks!

Here is the problem:
For saving energy, bicycling and walking are far more efficient means of transportation than is travel by automobile. For example, when riding at 10 mi/h, a cyclist uses food energy at a rate of about 400kcal/h above what he would use if merely sitting still. (In exercise physiology, power is often measured in kcal/h rather than in watts. Here 1 kcal=1 nutritionist's Calorie = 4,186 J) Walking at 3mi/h requires about 220 kcal/h. It is interesting to compare these values with the nergy consumption required for travel by car. Gasoline yields about 1.30 x 10^8 J/gal. Find the fuel economy in equivalent miles per gallon for a pesron a) walking, and b) bycicling.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's all right there in the problem. Just read it a bit more carefully, starting with the fuel economy for walking.

Yeah I figured it out. I just kept converting and converting lol until I ended up with mi/gal. k thanks

What is the problem about?

The problem is a specific question or issue that needs to be addressed or solved. It can range from a scientific experiment to a social or environmental concern.

Why is it important to understand the problem?

Understanding the problem is crucial because it allows scientists to identify the root cause, potential solutions, and potential impacts of the problem. It also helps in determining the research question and hypothesis.

How do scientists define a problem?

Scientists define a problem by analyzing the available data and evidence and identifying patterns or inconsistencies. They also consider the context and background information related to the problem.

What are the steps in problem-solving?

The steps in problem-solving include identifying and defining the problem, gathering information and data, analyzing the data, developing and testing hypotheses, and finally drawing conclusions and communicating the results.

How can we contribute to solving a problem?

We can contribute to solving a problem by being informed and educated about the issue, supporting and participating in research and initiatives related to the problem, and making lifestyle changes that can help alleviate the problem. We can also raise awareness and advocate for change through various channels.