Calculate Plane Speed from Diameter & Angle

• Thread starter courtney1121
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Speed
In summary, the formula for calculating plane speed from diameter and angle is: speed = (diameter * angular velocity) / 2. The unit of measurement for plane speed is typically meters per second (m/s). The plane speed can be calculated using any angle as long as the diameter and angular velocity are known. The accuracy of the calculation depends on the accuracy of the values used for diameter and angle. Other factors that can affect plane speed include air resistance, engine power, and altitude, which must also be considered in the calculation.
courtney1121
A plane is traveling in a circular path 32 km in diameter. It is banking at an angle of 12o, which indicates that its sideward acceleration is 2.1m/s2. What is its speed?

So I can use v=at, but I don't know time. What am I suppose to do with the 32km and the angle of 12?

Physics news on Phys.org
ok so how does the banking angle indicate the sideward acceleration?

is it possible to use the equation v^2 = a * radius * tan angle?

From using that equation I got speed to be 84.5m/s...does that sound right?

1. What is the formula for calculating plane speed from diameter and angle?

The formula for calculating plane speed from diameter and angle is: speed = (diameter * angular velocity) / 2.

2. What is the unit of measurement for plane speed?

The unit of measurement for plane speed is typically meters per second (m/s).

3. Can the plane speed be calculated using any angle?

Yes, the plane speed can be calculated using any angle as long as the diameter and angular velocity are known.

4. How accurate is the calculation of plane speed from diameter and angle?

The accuracy of the calculation depends on the accuracy of the values used for diameter and angle. If these values are measured accurately, then the calculated plane speed will also be accurate.

5. Are there any other factors that affect plane speed besides diameter and angle?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect plane speed such as air resistance, engine power, and altitude. These factors must also be taken into consideration when calculating plane speed.