Translational Momentum of a particle

In summary, to have the same translational momentum as a 1600 kg car moving at 1.2 km/h, you would need to run at a speed of 24 km/h. This can be calculated by equating the momentum of the car, which is 1920 kg-km/hr, to your momentum, which is 80*Vu kg-km/hr, and solving for Vu. The unit for momentum is usually written as kg*m/s or N*s in the SI system.
physics newb
Suppose that your mass is 80 kg. How fast would you have to run to have the same translational momentum as a 1600 kg car moving at 1.2 km/h? I happen to know the answer is 24 km/hr. But, how do I get to this answer? What are the steps? Could someone solve it out and show me how they got it? Thanks a million!

Physics news on Phys.org
Momentum, which we denote by p, is simply the product of the mass and the velocity: p=mv. So since you know the mass and velocity of the car you can calculate its momentum and since you know what your mass is you can calculate what your velocity needs to be in order to have that same momentum.

The car's momentum is 1600*1.2 kg-km/hr? That being 1920. What would the units be?
Now my momentum is 80*Vu kg-km/hr where Vu is your velocity?
Where do I go from here?

Equate the two and solve for Vu. Momentum doesn't have a special unit in the SI system, it's usually just written as kg*m/s or sometimes N*s (the two are equivalent).

1. What is translational momentum?

Translational momentum is a physical quantity that represents the motion of a particle. It is the product of an object's mass and velocity, and is a vector quantity with both magnitude and direction.

2. How is translational momentum calculated?

To calculate translational momentum, you multiply the mass of the object by its velocity. The formula for translational momentum is p = mv, where p is the momentum, m is the mass, and v is the velocity.

3. What is the unit of measurement for translational momentum?

The SI unit for translational momentum is kilogram-meter per second (kg·m/s), which is equivalent to newton-second (N·s).

4. What is the conservation of translational momentum?

The conservation of translational momentum states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant, meaning it does not change, unless acted upon by an external force. This is known as the law of conservation of momentum.

5. How is translational momentum different from angular momentum?

Translational momentum is associated with the linear motion of a particle, while angular momentum is associated with the rotational motion of a particle. Translational momentum is a vector quantity, while angular momentum is a vector quantity. Additionally, translational momentum is conserved in all directions, while angular momentum is only conserved in the direction of the axis of rotation.