Kaon Decay -- Special relativity

In summary, a K0 particle with a mass of 8.87x10-28 kg can decay into π+ and π- particles with masses of 2.49x10-28 kg. If the K0 is moving in the +x direction, the π+ and π- will move off at 0.9c and 0.8c, respectively. To solve for the speed of the K0 before the decay, momentum conservation in both longitudinal and transverse directions is necessary. The directions of the pions after the decay are opposite in the Kaon rest frame, but not in the lab frame. Some of the rest-energy of the K0 is converted into kinetic energy of the pions, while total
Sophia Su

Homework Statement

A K0 particle is unstable and has a mass of 8.87x10-28 kg. It can decay into π+ and π- particles, each of mass 2.49x10-28 kg. Suppose that a K0 is moving in the +x direction and decays by this process, with the π+ moving off at 0.9c and the π- moving off at 0.8c.
a) What was the speed of the K0 before the decay?
b) In what directions do each of the π particles move after the decay?

Homework Equations

Pinitial=P1+P2

The Attempt at a Solution

I assume that the momentum is conserved thus Pinital=P1+P2. I also know that P=gamma*mass*velocity
So with that information, I can solve for the momentum of the two particles. P1+P2=2.12*10^-19
Now I know my total momentum, thus I isolate for velocity. HOWEVER, the original mass of the kaon is 8.87*10^-28, but the masses of the two particles do not add up to the total mass, where did the lost mass go? Energy? If so, how do I solve th problem?

Also, for part b) do I just say, they are in opposite directions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Sophia, welcome to PF :smile: !

You'll have to do momentum conservation in two directions (longitudinal and transverse).
And (b) is right in the Kaon rest frame, but not in the lab frame !
In that rest frame the leftover energy from the decay is converted into kinetic energy of the pions. Equally - from momentum conservation :smile:

Sophia Su said:
the masses of the two particles do not add up to the total mass, where did the lost mass go? Energy?

Correct. More precisely, some of the rest-energy (mc2) of the kaon becomes part of the kinetic energy of the pions. Total energy is conserved. Therefore you have three conservation equations:

• Conservation of energy
  • Conservation of x-momentum
  • Conservation of y-momentum

Set them up and identify your unknown quantities.

BvU said:
Hello Sophia, welcome to PF :smile: !

You'll have to do momentum conservation in two directions (longitudinal and transverse).
And (b) is right in the Kaon rest frame, but not in the lab frame !
In that rest frame the leftover energy from the decay is converted into kinetic energy of the pions. Equally - from momentum conservation :smile:
Thank you!

jtbell said:
Correct. More precisely, some of the rest-energy (mc2) of the kaon becomes part of the kinetic energy of the pions. Total energy is conserved. Therefore you have three conservation equations:

• Conservation of energy
  • Conservation of x-momentum
  • Conservation of y-momentum

Set them up and identify your unknown quantities.
That was very helpful! :)

1. What is Kaon Decay?

Kaon decay is a type of radioactive decay that occurs in particles called kaons. It is a process in which a kaon particle transforms into other particles, releasing energy in the form of radiation.

2. How does Special relativity play a role in Kaon Decay?

Special relativity is a theory that describes the relationship between space and time. In Kaon Decay, special relativity explains the behavior of particles moving at very high speeds, such as the kaon particles.

3. What are the implications of Special relativity in Kaon Decay?

The implications of special relativity in Kaon Decay are that the decay process is affected by the speed of the kaon particles. This can result in different decay rates and particle lifetimes, as observed in experiments.

4. How is the Lorentz transformation used in studying Kaon Decay?

The Lorentz transformation is a mathematical formula that describes how measurements of space and time change for observers moving at different speeds. In studying Kaon Decay, it is used to calculate the decay rates and lifetimes of the kaon particles.

5. What is the significance of Kaon Decay in the study of particle physics?

Kaon Decay is significant in particle physics because it provides important insights into the behavior of subatomic particles, as well as the fundamental forces that govern the universe. It also helps to test and refine theories such as special relativity, which have wide-reaching implications in physics.