Quadratic equation homework problem

In summary, the conversation discusses solving for y in the equation y^2 - 2y = x^3 + 2x^2 + 2x + 3. One person suggests using the quadratic formula, while the other asks for help in expressing the equation in the form a(y+h)^2+k. They eventually remember to complete the square and are able to solve for y.
jesuslovesu

Homework Statement

y^2 - 2y = x^3 + 2x^2 + 2x + 3

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Solve for y
How do you solve for y? my book says since that equation is quadratic in y, it can be solved as y = 1 +- sqrt(x^3 + 2x^2 + 2x + 4) but I have no idea how to do that...

all I can do is y(y-2) ...

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you express [itex]y^2-2y[/itex] in the form [itex]a(y+h)^2+k[/itex]?

Thanks for your reply
y^2 - 2y - K = 0
-k, -2y
K = x^3 + ...
Unfortunately, i seem unable to do so

Oh wait, I forgot about completing the square, I got it thanks

You can also use the quadratic formula, might be easier.

What is a quadratic equation?

A quadratic equation is an equation of the form ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable. It is called "quadratic" because the variable is raised to the second power.

What is the quadratic formula?

The quadratic formula is a formula used to solve quadratic equations. It is given by x = (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac)) / 2a. It is useful when the equation does not factor easily.

How do you solve a quadratic equation?

There are several methods for solving quadratic equations, including factoring, completing the square, and using the quadratic formula. To solve by factoring, find two numbers that when multiplied together equal c and when added together equal b. Then use those numbers to rewrite the equation as (ax + m)(ax + n) = 0 and solve for x. To solve by completing the square, follow a specific set of steps to rewrite the equation in the form (x + p)^2 = q and solve for x. To solve using the quadratic formula, simply plug in the values for a, b, and c and solve for x.

What are the different types of solutions for a quadratic equation?

A quadratic equation can have two real solutions, one real solution, or two complex solutions. Two real solutions occur when the discriminant (b^2 - 4ac) is positive, one real solution occurs when the discriminant is 0, and two complex solutions occur when the discriminant is negative.

How do you know if a quadratic equation has solutions?

A quadratic equation has solutions if the discriminant (b^2 - 4ac) is greater than or equal to 0. If the discriminant is 0, the equation has one real solution. If the discriminant is positive, the equation has two real solutions. If the discriminant is negative, the equation has two complex solutions.