Stagnation pressure for attached shock

In summary, the conversation is discussing the definition of "stagnation pressure" at the tip of a slender body with an attached oblique shockwave. The participants agree that the stagnation pressure at the tip should be the same as the stagnation pressure of the freestream flow, without any pressure loss from the shock. However, there is still some debate about whether there may be a small "bow" wave in front of the tip. The participants are also surprised that there is not a single source that answers this question.
snowman5
Hi, does anyone know the definition of "stagnation pressure" at the tip of a slender body
with attached oblique shockwave?

Since the shockwave is completely "attached" to the pointing tip, I think that there is
no flow "behind" the shock at the tip.
So I proceed to think that the stagnation pressure at the tip should be stagnation pressure
of the freestream flow without any pressure loss from the shock.

I have been looking for the answer for days but surprisingly there is not a single source
that answers my question.

I appreciate any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that is a pretty good estimate. although, sometimes when you zoom in on the tip you still see a small "bow" wave in front of the tip. From a distance the shock wave seems attached.

I too think that you are right. the stagnation pressure of freestream will be same as that of the stagnation pressure at the tip

1. What is stagnation pressure for attached shock?

Stagnation pressure for attached shock is a thermodynamic concept that refers to the maximum pressure that a fluid will experience when it is slowed down isentropically (without any loss of energy) to a lower Mach number. It is often used in the analysis of shock waves and compressible flow.

2. How is stagnation pressure for attached shock calculated?

The calculation of stagnation pressure for attached shock involves using the basic equations of compressible flow, such as the continuity equation, energy equation, and momentum equation. These equations can be solved analytically or numerically to determine the stagnation pressure at a given point in the flow field.

3. What factors affect stagnation pressure for attached shock?

Stagnation pressure for attached shock can be influenced by several factors, including the angle of the shock wave, the Mach number of the flow, and the properties of the fluid such as temperature and density. Other factors, such as the shape of the body and the presence of boundary layers, can also affect stagnation pressure.

4. Why is stagnation pressure for attached shock important in aerospace engineering?

Stagnation pressure for attached shock is an important concept in aerospace engineering because it helps determine the aerodynamic performance of a vehicle. It is used to calculate the drag and lift forces experienced by the vehicle, which are crucial in the design and operation of aircraft and spacecraft.

5. Can stagnation pressure for attached shock be negative?

No, stagnation pressure for attached shock cannot be negative. This is because stagnation pressure is a measure of the maximum achievable pressure in a flow and cannot be lower than the ambient pressure. If the calculated stagnation pressure is negative, it indicates that the flow is not attached and has separated from the body, resulting in a shock detachment.