How do you express a matrix as the product of elementary matrices?

In summary, to solve a question of the type "express the matrix A as the product of N elementary matrices", you need to row reduce the matrix and keep track of your steps by creating a matrix for each step. The final reduced matrix can be represented as a product of elementary matrices, where each elementary matrix corresponds to a specific row operation. There are 3 types of row operations: swapping two rows, multiplying a row by a number, and adding a multiple of one row to another. The elementary matrix for a given row operation is obtained by applying that operation to the identity matrix.
theneedtoknow
I don't have a specific question in mind but can someone explain to me how to solve a question of the type " express the matrix A as the product of N elementary matrices"

Physics news on Phys.org
What you want to do is row reduce the matrix and keep track of your steps along the way. For example if you wanted to perform 3(Row1)+R3 to a matrix A, then you represent that by

[tex]
E=\begin{pmatrix}
1&0&3 \\
0&1&0 \\
0&0&1
\end{pmatrix}
A[/tex]

So make a matrix like that for each on of your steps; then if we call U your completely reduced matrix, then your original matrix, call it O is, [itex]O=LU[/itex] where [itex]L=E_1^{-1}E_2^{-1} \cdots E_n^{-1}[/itex]. Hope that helps.

I almost get it other than how to keep track of the reduction steps... :) Can you explain to me how you formed that matrix that represents 3r1 - r3? I tried to figure it out but the best i can come up with is that the matrix you show me looks like the 3x3 identity matrix after the operation r1 + 3r3 ...

Yes basically the way it works is you start with the identity matrix, and look at it vertically. For example,

[tex]
E=\begin{pmatrix}
1&0&1 \\
0&1&0 \\
0&0&1
\end{pmatrix}A[/tex]

would do R1+R3, where

[tex]
E=\begin{pmatrix}
1&0&0 \\
0&1&0 \\
2&0&1
\end{pmatrix}A[/tex]

would do 2R3+R1. Just insert the multiple of the row you want in that row and in the same column as the non-zero element of the row you want to add it to.

ok i think i get it :)
but how about operations whihc involve substracting rows (or does that count as scalar multiplication and addition in 2 separate steps) , and how about the operation of interchanging rows? how would that be represented

If you want to interchange rows just use the identity matrix and switch the rows on there. For example interchanging row 2 and 3,

[tex]
E=\begin{pmatrix}
1&0&0 \\
0&0&1 \\
0&1&0
\end{pmatrix}A[/tex]

and if you want to subtract a multiple of a row from another one just use a negative number as your multiple. For example, R3-3R1

[tex]E=\begin{pmatrix}
1&0&-3 \\
0&1&0 \\
0&0&1
\end{pmatrix}A[/tex]

ohhh excellent got it :) thank u very mcuh!

no problem :]

In other words: the elementary matrix corresponding to a given row-operation is just the matrix you get by applying that row operation to the identity matrix.

There are 3 kinds of row operations:
1) swap two rows.
2) multiply an entire row by a number
3) add a multiple of one row to another.

1. What is an elementary matrix?

An elementary matrix is a square matrix with only one non-zero element, either a single 1 or -1, and all other elements equal to 0. It is used in linear algebra to perform elementary row operations on matrices, such as swapping rows or multiplying a row by a scalar.

2. How is an elementary matrix used in matrix operations?

Elementary matrices are used to perform elementary row operations on matrices, which can be used to simplify or solve systems of linear equations. They can also be used to find the inverse of a matrix or to reduce a matrix to its row-echelon form.

3. Can an elementary matrix change the determinant of a matrix?

No, an elementary matrix will not change the determinant of a matrix. This is because the determinant is a value that remains the same when elementary row operations are performed on a matrix. However, an elementary matrix can be used to calculate the determinant of a matrix by multiplying it with the original matrix.

4. How do you create an elementary matrix?

To create an elementary matrix, you can start with an identity matrix (a square matrix with 1s on the main diagonal and 0s everywhere else) and perform an elementary row operation on it. The resulting matrix will be an elementary matrix. Alternatively, you can directly create an elementary matrix by specifying the non-zero element and its position in the matrix.

5. What is the difference between an elementary matrix and a diagonal matrix?

An elementary matrix is a square matrix with only one non-zero element, while a diagonal matrix is a square matrix with non-zero elements only on the main diagonal. The main difference is that an elementary matrix is used for performing elementary row operations, while a diagonal matrix is used for scaling or transforming a matrix. Additionally, an elementary matrix can be created from an identity matrix, while a diagonal matrix cannot.