What are the remaining steps to complete this problem?

• Thread starter HelloMotto
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tangent
Can you solve for p from that condition?In summary, the problem involves finding the equation of the tangent and normal at a given point on a parabola, finding the equation of a tangent with a specific slope, determining the local minimum and maximum points, finding the equation of a tangent from a given point to the curve, and calculating the area enclosed by a tangent line and the axes. Part d involves finding a point on the parabola that satisfies certain conditions, while part e is unclear and may involve finding the intercepts of the tangent line on the axes.
HelloMotto

Homework Statement

Given the function
y = x[tex]^{2}[/tex] + 3x - 4 find,

a) the equation of tangent + normal at x = -2.
b)the equation of the tangent that has slope of -2.
c)local min and max.
d)the equations of the tangent from the point (2 , -4) to the curve.
e) area enclosed by the tangent at x = -2 and the axis.

The Attempt at a Solution

ok so i did parts a to c. I am kind of stuck at part d and e. I don't understand what the questions mean.

Physics news on Phys.org
d) Notice that (2, -4) is not on the curve. We want the equations of all lines passing through (2, -4) that are tangent to the curve. There could be 0, 1, or 2 of these lines because y is a quadratic. Let (x, y) be a point on one such line that's also on the curve. Then you know what y is in terms of x, and you can find the slope of the line in 2 ways: by differentiation, and by rise over run from (x, y) to (2, -4).

e) You found the equation of the tangent at x = -2 in part (a). Graph it and calculate the area of the triangle enclosed by this line, the x-axis, and the y-axis.

Part d is a bit tricky, I think. You want to find a point A on the parabola with coordinates (p, p^2 + 3p - 4) that satisifies these conditions:
  1. The slope of the segment from A to (2, -4) is equal to the slope of the tangent at A (p, p^2 + 3p -4).
  2. There is only one value of p that works.
I haven't worked through this, but this is the approach I would take for starters. The reason for the second condition is that the tangent has to touch the graph of the parabola at exactly one point; it can't intersect the graph at a point and then continue to intersect the other side of the parabola graph.

Part e is not well-defined. Did the original problem say "area enclosed by the tangent at x = -2 and the axes"? One axis, two axes. If so, the area involved is a triangle, so if you can find the intercepts of the tangent on the two axes, it's pretty easy to find the area of that triangle.

I don't understand why the tangent slope is equal to the regular slope.

I'm not sure what you're asking. What do you mean by "regular slope"?

sorry. I was referring to the slope from point A to point (2 , 4)

Your problem asks for "the equations of the tangent from the point (2 , -4) to the curve."
I interpret this to mean the line that is tangent to the given curve at A(p, p^2 + 3p + 4)and that passes through (2, -4). Can you find the slope of this line segment? Can you find the slope of the tangent line to the curve at point A? The two expressions you get will involve p and have to be equal.

1. What is the equation of a tangent line?

The equation of a tangent line is a linear function that represents the slope of a curve at a specific point. It can be written in the form y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the line and b is the y-intercept.

2. How do you find the equation of a tangent line?

To find the equation of a tangent line, you need to first find the slope of the curve at the specific point. This can be done by taking the derivative of the function at that point. Then, use the point-slope formula y - y1 = m(x - x1) to find the equation of the tangent line.

3. What is the point of finding the equation of a tangent line?

The equation of a tangent line is useful for determining the instantaneous rate of change of a curve at a specific point. This can be used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to understand the behavior of a system at a specific point.

4. Can the equation of a tangent line be negative?

Yes, the equation of a tangent line can be negative. The slope of a line can be positive, negative, or zero, depending on the direction of the line. A negative slope indicates that the line is decreasing as it moves from left to right.

5. Is there a specific method for solving equation of tangent questions?

There is no specific method for solving equation of tangent questions as it depends on the given function and point. However, the general steps involve finding the derivative, plugging in the given point to find the slope, and using the point-slope formula to find the equation of the tangent line.