Recommendation on good Analysis textbook to supplement class

In summary, the person is looking for a recommendation for a good supplement book for their Analysis class. They feel that their current class is moving too slowly and are considering using Rudin's textbook for additional practice. They also suggest using Wikipedia as a reference for definitions and looking at exams from other universities for practice problems.
M1STERMARBLES
Just a quick question for those who have had plenty of exposure to Analysis.

Currently, I'm in an Analysis class. We are using Arthur Mattuck's "Introduction to Analysis" textbook. While I think it's a good book and I enjoy the class, I can't help to think that the teacher is watering down our class, especially when I looked at other Analysis textbooks. This semester, we covered Chp 1-15 (Pretty much everything but integration), as well as some topology, but I feel as if though this class is moving a bit slow.

Question is, does anyone have a recommendation for a good book which I can supplement my class? I heard Rudin's was good. I'm looking for something rigorous but readable.

Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
if you are almost done with the class, rudin cannot hurt. The problems will help the most. Theres a lot of interesting stuff too - a nowhere differentiable continuous function and the reimann series theorem for example.

for a supplement this late in the semester it probably makes the most sense just to find good problems and to use wikipedia as a reference for definitions you are not aquainted with. this is easy to do, look at analysis exams (prelim grad exams as well). berkeley has a exam archive, 104 is their first analysis course. there's good stuff there.

Last edited:

Based on your description, it sounds like you are looking for a more challenging and rigorous textbook to supplement your Analysis class. In that case, I would recommend "Principles of Mathematical Analysis" by Walter Rudin. This textbook is often considered the gold standard for introductory Analysis courses and is known for its clear and concise writing style, as well as its rigorous approach to the subject. It covers all the topics you mentioned, including integration, and goes into more depth than Mattuck's textbook.

Another option could be "Real Analysis" by Royden and Fitzpatrick. This textbook is also highly regarded and offers a good balance between rigor and readability. It covers all the topics you mentioned and also includes some additional topics, such as measure theory.

Ultimately, the best textbook for you will depend on your personal preferences and learning style. I would recommend taking a look at both Rudin's and Royden and Fitzpatrick's textbooks and seeing which one resonates more with you. You can also ask your instructor or classmates for their recommendations and see if you can borrow their copies to get a feel for the content before making a purchase. Good luck with your studies!

1. What makes a good analysis textbook?

A good analysis textbook should have clear explanations, relevant examples, and exercises that build upon each other. It should also have a comprehensive index and a good balance of theory and application.

2. Are there any specific textbooks you would recommend for analysis?

There are many great analysis textbooks out there, but some popular choices among students and professors include "Introduction to Real Analysis" by Bartle and Sherbert, "Understanding Analysis" by Abbott, and "Principles of Mathematical Analysis" by Rudin.

3. Can you recommend a textbook that is suitable for beginners in analysis?

If you are new to analysis, "Elementary Analysis: The Theory of Calculus" by Ross is a great choice. It covers the fundamentals of analysis in an easy-to-understand manner and includes many helpful exercises.

4. Is it necessary to have a supplemental analysis textbook for class?

While it is not always necessary, having a supplemental analysis textbook can be very beneficial. It can provide additional explanations, examples, and exercises to help solidify your understanding of the material.

5. How can I choose the best analysis textbook for my needs?

When choosing an analysis textbook, consider your learning style, the level of difficulty you are comfortable with, and the specific topics you need to focus on. It can also be helpful to read reviews and ask for recommendations from professors or peers.