What are the Critical Numbers for f(x) = 2x^3 + 15x^2 - 36x +1?

• Thread starter ziddy83
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Numbers
In summary, the conversation is about finding the critical numbers of a given function, specifically f(x) = 2x^3 + 15x^2 - 36x +1. The person asks if they need to take the second derivative to find the critical numbers, and the definition of a critical number is provided. It is then confirmed that taking the second derivative is necessary and the terminology for critical numbers and critical points is discussed.
ziddy83
Hi,
i was wondering if anyone could help me.
The problem says find the critical numbers of f...
f(x) = 2x^3 + 15x^2 - 36x +1

ok i found f ' ...6x^2 + 30x-36,
Now how do i start on finding the critical numbers? Do i have to take the second derivative?

Physics news on Phys.org
What, exactly, is the definition of "critical number?" :-)

Definition of a Critical Number

Let f be defined at c. If f'(c) = 0 or f' is undefined at c, then c is a critical number of f.

So should you take a second derivative?

Right...its not, so I can just set it equal to zero, and then solve for the variable, right?

ziddy83 said:
Right...its not, so I can just set it equal to zero, and then solve for the variable, right?

Yes,your 'critical numbers' are solution of the equation
[tex] f'(x)=0 [/tex]
.BTW,your terminology is pretty weird.I use to call them "critical points",coz they pop up whenever i want to draw the graph of a function

Daniel.

"Right...its not, so I can just set it equal to zero, and then solve for the variable, right?"

Having determined first that there are no values of x for which the derivative does not exist, yes.

"BTW,your terminology is pretty weird.I use to call them "critical points",coz they pop up whenever i want to draw the graph of a function"

Actually, there is a difference. Given y= f(x), the "critical numbers" are the values of x at which f ' (x) does not exist or is equal to 0. The "critical points" are the points (x,y) with x a critical number.

1. What are critical numbers in mathematics?

Critical numbers in mathematics refer to the values of a function where its derivative is equal to zero or undefined. These numbers are important in finding the maximum and minimum points of a function and determining its concavity.

2. How do you find critical numbers?

To find critical numbers, you need to take the derivative of the given function and set it equal to zero. Solve for the values of the variable that make the derivative zero. These values are the critical numbers of the function.

3. Why are critical numbers important?

Critical numbers are important because they help us identify the maximum and minimum points of a function. They also help us determine the intervals of increase and decrease of a function, as well as its concavity. These are essential in understanding the behavior and properties of a function.

4. Can a function have more than one critical number?

Yes, a function can have more than one critical number. In fact, most functions have multiple critical numbers. These are the points where the slope of the function is changing, and they play a crucial role in determining the overall shape of the function.

5. How do critical numbers relate to optimization problems?

In optimization problems, critical numbers are used to find the maximum or minimum value of a function. By finding the critical numbers and evaluating the function at those points, we can determine the optimal value of the function. This is especially useful in real-world applications, such as maximizing profits or minimizing costs.