Mixing Problem Help: Solve 1.7 kg Salt in 30 L Brine Solution

• Thread starter physman88
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mixing
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a brine solution of salt flowing into a tank and being stirred before flowing out at the same rate. The goal is to find the mass of salt in the tank after a certain amount of time. The conversation goes through the process of setting up a differential equation and solving it, with an initial condition to be plugged in. A mistake is pointed out and corrected in the process.
physman88

Homework Statement

A brine solution of salt flows at a constant rate of 7 L/min into a tank that holds 30 L of brine solution in which was dissolved 1.7 kg. The solution inside the tank is kept well stirred and flows out of the tank at the same rate. If the concentration of salt in the brine entering the tank is 0.33kg/L, find the mass of the salt in the tank after "t" minutes.

Homework Equations

[tex]\frac{dy}{dt}[/tex]= (in rate) - (out rate)

The Attempt at a Solution

We know that the in rate will equal [tex]\frac{7L}{min}[/tex]*[tex]\frac{1kg}{3L}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{7kg}{3min}[/tex]. The out rate will equal [tex]\frac{7 L}{min}[/tex]*[tex]\frac{y(t) kg}{30L}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{7y(t)kg}{30min}[/tex]

Now here is where I set up the d.e. mentioned above.

[tex]\frac{dy}{dt}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{7}{3}[/tex] - [tex]\frac{7 y(t)}{30}[/tex]

which equals

[tex]\frac{dy}{dt}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{210-21y(t)}{90}[/tex]

Now we can separate and integrate to find y(t), which i will just call y.

so we have:

[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{dy}{210-21y}[/tex] = [tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{dt}{90}[/tex]

which all boils down to:

-21*ln|210-21y|=[tex]\frac{t}{90}[/tex]+C

Now we can plug in our initial condition of y(0)=1.7 to solve for C.

-21*ln|210-21(1.7)|=0+C so -21*ln|210-35.7|=C

And from here I am stuck because the value i am getting for C doesn't seem correct.

Should I solve the d.e. outright for y, then plug in the initial conditions.. or what??

Thanks for any help or comments!

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't you want (-1/21)*ln|210-21y|? Take the derivative.

Yeah, that's quite embarrassing. Thanks for pointing it out though!

1. What is a mixing problem?

A mixing problem involves finding the concentration or amount of a substance in a solution after it has been mixed with another substance.

2. How do I solve a mixing problem?

To solve a mixing problem, you will need to use the formula C1V1 + C2V2 = C3V3, where C1 and V1 are the initial concentration and volume, C2 and V2 are the concentration and volume of the substance being added, and C3 and V3 are the final concentration and volume. Plug in the given values and solve for the unknown variable.

3. What is the given problem asking me to do?

The given problem is asking you to find the concentration of salt (in kg/L) in a brine solution after adding 1.7 kg of salt to 30 L of the solution.

4. Why is it important to know how to solve mixing problems?

Mixing problems are commonly encountered in various fields of science, such as chemistry and biology. Knowing how to solve them is important for accurately determining the concentration or amount of a substance in a solution, which can have practical applications in industries such as pharmaceuticals, agriculture, and food and beverage production.

5. What are some tips for solving mixing problems?

Some tips for solving mixing problems include accurately labeling the initial and final concentrations and volumes, converting all units to the same system (e.g. kg and L), and double checking your calculations. It can also be helpful to visualize the problem using a diagram or table before plugging in values to the formula.