Rookie Energy Query: Mass Outflow in Supernovas

In summary, the conversation discusses the total energy of a supernova event and how it can be determined using relativity equations. It also explains that the total energy and momentum are different in different frames, but the divergence is Lorentz invariant. The conversation ends with a supplementary question about whether the divergence is Lorentz invariant and the response that it is not, even in classical mechanics.
mooneyes
I am a little unsure about something, take this example for instance:

In a supernova event, a star ejects X amount of mass at a relativistic speed, say 0.5c. What's the total energy of this outflow in the reference frame in which the star's at rest.

Now would I be correct to assume that the energy outflow would be the same in all inertial reference frames?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
mooneyes said:
I am a little unsure about something, take this example for instance:

In a supernova event, a star ejects X amount of mass at a relativistic speed, say 0.5c. What's the total energy of this outflow in the reference frame in which the star's at rest.
In relativity total energy can be determined from either [tex]E = \frac{m_0 c^2}{\sqrt{1 - v^2/c^2}}[/tex] or the equivalent equation [tex]E^2 = m_0^2 c^4 + p^2 c^2[/tex] where m0 is the rest mass and p is the relativistic momentum [tex]\frac{mv}{\sqrt{1 - v^2/c^2}}[/tex]. So using the first equation, if m0 = X and v = 0.5c, then the total energy would be 1.1547*X*c2.
mooneyes said:
Now would I be correct to assume that the energy outflow would be the same in all inertial reference frames?
No, conservation of energy just means that in any given frame the total energy doesn't change with time, but the total energy (like the total momentum) is different in different frames. This is true in classical physics as well as relativity.

JesseM said:
No, conservation of energy just means that in any given frame the total energy doesn't change with time, but the total energy (like the total momentum) is different in different frames. This is true in classical physics as well as relativity.

Ah, I see, so

E2 - (Pc)2 = constant

for any inertial frame, but the energy and momentum can be different!

I have a supplementary question : Is the divergence Lorentz invariant ? That would be the total amount of matter crossing a spherical shell around the star, integrated over some time period ( I think ).

It is indeed!

mooneyes said:
It is indeed!

Thanks. I suppose (naively ?) with the amount of matter being a scalar, that the velocity and time transformations cancel. I'll look it up.

The answer is no, even in Newtonian mechanics. Suppose I use my two hands to throw two masses m with velocities +v and -v. The total energy is mv^2. In a different frame, the total energy is not mv^2.

1. What is a supernova and why is it important to study mass outflow?

A supernova is a powerful explosion that occurs at the end of a star's life. It releases a tremendous amount of energy and can be seen from Earth as a bright, rapidly evolving object in the sky. Studying the mass outflow in supernovas is important because it helps us understand the processes involved in the explosion and the ways in which it affects the surrounding environment.

2. How do scientists measure mass outflow in supernovas?

Scientists use a variety of methods to measure mass outflow in supernovas. One common approach is to analyze the spectra of the light emitted by the supernova. By examining the absorption and emission lines in the spectrum, scientists can determine the composition and velocity of the material being expelled from the supernova.

3. What factors influence the mass outflow in supernovas?

There are several factors that can influence the mass outflow in supernovas. These include the size and mass of the star, the composition of its outer layers, and the strength of its magnetic fields. The environment surrounding the supernova, such as the density of the interstellar medium, can also play a role.

4. What can we learn from studying mass outflow in supernovas?

Studying mass outflow in supernovas can provide valuable insights into the physical processes involved in the explosion and the evolution of the supernova remnant. It can also help us understand the role of supernovas in the chemical enrichment of the universe and their impact on the formation of new stars and galaxies.

5. How does mass outflow in supernovas impact the surrounding environment?

The mass outflow in supernovas can have a significant impact on the surrounding environment. It can contribute to the enrichment of the interstellar medium with heavy elements, trigger the formation of new stars and planets, and create shock waves that can trigger the collapse of nearby molecular clouds. It can also shape the structure of the interstellar medium and influence the dynamics of galaxies.