Free-body diagram to identify the forces acting on the car

In summary, the conversation is about finding the angle of a frictionless banked curve with a radius of 56.5 m and a car traveling at a speed of 59 km/hr without relying on friction. The formula to use is tan(theta) = v^2 / rg and a free body diagram must be drawn to identify the forces acting on the car. The force of gravity is equal to the centripetal force and can be solved by finding its components pointing towards the center. mg tan(theta) is not the correct equation and the value of m is equal to 0 in this scenario.
kimikims
Where do I start?

A curve of radius 56.5 m is banked so that
a car traveling with uniform speed 59 km/hr
can round the curve without relying on friction
to keep it from slipping to its left or right.
The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2

What is Q? Answer in units of degrees.

Physics news on Phys.org
Again, use a free-body diagram to identify the forces acting on the car. Remember, the car is traveling in circular motion; what does that tell you?

Is this the right equation?

Mg = 1.3
g = 9.8 m/s^2
Radius = 56.5 m
Speed = 59km/hr
m = 0

Mg Tan = mV^2/R

1.3 Mg Tan = 0 x (59)^2 / 56.5

But wouldn't that just make it zero?? I'm lost.

What is M and what is m??
and why is m=0?

Wait...

M x g tan = m (V^2/g)

g tan = V^2 / g

9.8 tan = [(16.2)^2 / 56.5]

9.8 tan = 4.644955752 (Do I just type it in as that? or do I need to divide by 9.8)

I am trying to find the degree of the angle.

k...in this case...the force of gravity = centripital force...which I think you have figured out already...

You are correct in stating that Centripital force= mv^2 / R

Now draw a free body diagram to find the force of gravity...its not mg tan (angle)...its mg * something...

...work from there.

thermodynamicaldude said:
k...in this case...the force of gravity = centripital force...which I think you have figured out already...

You are correct in stating that Centripital force= mv^2 / R

Now draw a free body diagram to find the force of gravity...its not mg tan (angle)...its mg * something...

...work from there.

tan = V^2 / Rg ??

tan = (59)^2 / (56.5) (9.8)

tan = .62867905

= .0109729727 ?

that doesn't make sense

Kimikins,

[tex] \tan \theta =\frac{v^2}{rg} [/tex]

Only works without friction!, it's the formula to find the angle of a frictionless banked curve. To solve this problem do as the other says, do a freebody diagram and identify all the forces (components) pointing toward the center.

1. What is a free-body diagram?

A free-body diagram is a visual representation used in physics to analyze the forces acting on an object. It shows all the individual forces acting on an object in a particular situation.

2. Why is it important to use a free-body diagram to identify forces on a car?

Using a free-body diagram allows us to break down the complex forces acting on a car into simpler components, making it easier to understand and analyze the overall motion and stability of the car.

3. How do you create a free-body diagram for a car?

To create a free-body diagram for a car, you first need to identify all the external forces acting on the car, such as gravity, friction, and air resistance. Then, draw a simple diagram of the car and label each force with its direction and magnitude.

4. What information can be obtained from a free-body diagram of a car?

A free-body diagram of a car can provide information about the net force acting on the car, the direction and magnitude of each individual force, and how these forces affect the motion and stability of the car.

5. How can a free-body diagram help in solving problems related to car motion?

A free-body diagram can help in solving problems related to car motion by providing a clear visual representation of all the forces acting on the car. It allows us to apply Newton's laws of motion to analyze the forces and predict the motion of the car in different situations.