Why does a PhD in CompE command so much more $$$

• Thread starter Poopsilon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phd
In summary, a link was shared that provides data on engineering salaries from the US Bureau of Labor Statistics. The second table shows that a PhD in computer engineering earns about 32k more than a master's degree, while other engineering disciplines only have a 10k difference. Some possible reasons for this could be the high pressure and complexity of designing and producing products such as PCs or notebooks, which require constant learning and collaboration with other engineers. This may make the extra 32k worth it for those in the field.
Poopsilon
I stumbled across this link http://www.resumeserviceplus.com/advices.php?topic=5-Highest-Paying-Engineering-Specializations which gives data from the US Bureau of Labor Statistics on engineering salaries.

The second table breaks things down by education level. Can someone explain to me why a PhD in computer engineering commands 32k more than a masters, while every other engineering discipline listed commands only about 10k more.

Maybe some computer engineers could chime in. Is there something about doctoral training in computer engineering that is especially valuable?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I was not a computer engineer. I can think of few reasons. Think about people that design PC or note book, The product life is so short, you have to deliver a PC using the latest CPU within how long?....months or less? Can you imagine the pressure of getting a reliable new product into market with such complexity? Look at mother board, they don't have much rework, chances are they are going to have two runs of pcb before coming out. Working with ME to put everything together in such a tight package, pass CE test or UL. It's the whole group of people work together, putting up with difficult personality, long hours and you better know exactly what you are doing as you don't have time to learn.

That to me sounds like a nightmare, not work. Think of how much and how fast you have to learn a new CPU. And you have to do it over and over and over and over again and again and again...They can keep that extra 32K.

I think people that do this like the pillow much better than get onto Physics Forum!

1. Why do PhDs in CompE make significantly higher salaries than other degrees?

One of the main reasons for the high salary of a PhD in CompE is the demand for their specialized skills. With the increasing use of technology in all industries, there is a high demand for experts in computer engineering. This demand drives up the salaries for PhD holders in this field.

2. Is there a difference in salary between PhDs in CompE and other computer-related degrees?

Yes, there is a noticeable difference in salary between PhDs in CompE and other computer-related degrees. This is because a PhD in CompE requires a higher level of education and expertise, making them more valuable in the job market.

3. How does the level of education impact the salary of a computer engineer?

The level of education, especially a PhD, significantly impacts the salary of a computer engineer. A PhD holder has a deeper understanding of complex computer systems and can conduct research, making them highly sought after in the industry. This demand leads to higher salaries for PhD holders.

4. What industries offer the highest salaries for PhDs in CompE?

PhDs in CompE can find employment in various industries, such as healthcare, finance, and technology. However, the highest-paying industries for these professionals include software development, computer hardware manufacturing, and research and development services.

5. How does the location affect the salary for a PhD in CompE?

The location can have a significant impact on the salary for a PhD in CompE. In areas with a high demand for these professionals, such as Silicon Valley, the salaries tend to be higher due to the cost of living and competition for top talent. In contrast, in areas with less demand, the salaries may be lower.