Parellel hybrid,how does the power of the ICE get heterodyned?

• Thread starter marellasunny
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ice Power
In summary, the Porsche Cayenne hybrid has a parallel hybrid design where the ICE delivers power to the differentials while being supplemented by an electric motor. The motor is connected to the output end of the ICE via a double clutch, but it can also be disconnected to allow for electric-only power or combined power from both the ICE and motor. This results in the ICE having less work to do and possibly less fuel consumption. The motor and ICE must be in the same rev range to avoid the motor spinning the ICE too quickly.
marellasunny
Attached you will find a parellel hybrid design of a Porsche Cayenne hybrid.

From what I understand,its the ICE(combustion engine) that is finally delivering power to the differentials.This power is 'substantiated' by power delivered from an electric motor.As you can see from the diagram,the motor is connected at the output end of the ICE via a double clutch. This is where I get confused: If I do want to add-up power by switching my motor into operation,my O/P end of the shaft would spin faster.Won't this effect the functioning of the ICE? i.e the piston velocity will increase considerably. This would mean I have lesser time to combust=>lesser power.

So,how does the motor power get heterodyned with the power from the ICE?

Attachments

• porschecayenne.jpg
    porschecayenne.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 349
Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm not sure I understand you correctly.

you say it is parallel hybrid. I assume that car can be powered by combustion engine OR electric motor (or both).
so:
1) car is powered only by ICE.
2) car is powered only by electricity. you disconnect the double clutch between ICE and motor, shut or idle the engine, and use only electric motor to power the transmission / wheels
3) car is powered by booth ICE and motor. from ICE standpoint there would be just less work to do. quite similar to driving downhill. electronics will close the throttle body a bit (if it is petrol) and injects less fuel.
ICE and el. motor will have to be in same rev range so the el. motor won't turn the ICE to too high revs.

1. What is a parallel hybrid?

A parallel hybrid is a type of hybrid vehicle that uses both an internal combustion engine (ICE) and an electric motor to power the vehicle. The ICE and electric motor work together to provide propulsion for the vehicle.

2. How does a parallel hybrid work?

In a parallel hybrid, the ICE and electric motor are connected to the same transmission and work together to propel the vehicle. The ICE provides power to the transmission through a traditional drivetrain, while the electric motor assists with acceleration and can also provide regenerative braking to recharge the battery.

3. What is heterodyning in a parallel hybrid?

Heterodyning in a parallel hybrid refers to the process of combining the power from the ICE and electric motor to produce a more efficient and powerful output. The two power sources work together to optimize fuel efficiency and reduce emissions.

4. How does the power of the ICE get heterodyned in a parallel hybrid?

The power of the ICE is heterodyned by the vehicle's power control unit, which manages the flow of power between the ICE and electric motor. The ICE and electric motor work together to provide the necessary power for the vehicle's acceleration and propulsion.

5. What are the benefits of parallel hybrid technology?

Parallel hybrid technology offers several benefits, including improved fuel efficiency, reduced emissions, and increased power and torque compared to traditional ICE vehicles. It also allows for regenerative braking, which can help recharge the battery and improve overall efficiency.