What makes materials seem colored?

by hokhani
Tags: colored, makes, materials
hokhani
May5-13, 11:36 AM
P: 241
I don't know the reason of materials' color? Why one matter is blue and another is red? Which mechanism is responsible for their color; Absorption, Luminescence, Scattering, Reflection?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists design quantum switches which can be activated by single photons
'Dressed' laser aimed at clouds may be key to inducing rain, lightning
Higher-order nonlinear optical processes observed using the SACLA X-ray free-electron laser
CompuChip
May5-13, 01:08 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 4,301
Short answer: It depends :)

Longer answer: In most cases, I would say that absorption / reflection is the reason that we see a certain color: if you shine white light (i.e. a mixture of all frequencies) onto a material, it will absorb some of the colors and reflect the rest. However, there are special cases in which the color is caused by another mechanism. For example, LEDs work by virtue of luminescence and the sky is blue because of scattering and not because it absorbs all other colors.
hokhani
May7-13, 03:07 PM
P: 241
Quote Quote by CompuChip View Post
Short answer: It depends :)

Longer answer: In most cases, I would say that absorption / reflection is the reason that we see a certain color: if you shine white light (i.e. a mixture of all frequencies) onto a material, it will absorb some of the colors and reflect the rest. However, there are special cases in which the color is caused by another mechanism. For example, LEDs work by virtue of luminescence and the sky is blue because of scattering and not because it absorbs all other colors.
Thanks a lot.

Register to reply