(non)fractional Negative Exponents

In summary, the individual is having trouble with the negative exponent questions on the homework, but has been helped by others and is almost done with the assignment.
wScott
We got thirty questions dealing with zero and negative exponents, but I'm having trouble with the negative exponent questions.

An example of this is:

a^3b-2/3^-1a^4b^-3

(-3x^-2y^3/3^-3x^4y^8)^-2

Sorry if these two examples look messy I don't know how to write it out like people write equations on this site.

Physics news on Phys.org
You could still use parentheses correctly. And spaces are terrific for readability. E.G. I think you meant to write:

a^3 b^-2 / (3^-1 a^4 b^-3)

for the first one.

Thanks for the tip Hurkyl. Do you have any ideas on how to solve them?

You should know (and remember) these relations when dealing with exponents:

[tex]x^{a}x^{b}=x^{a+b}[/tex] and [tex]\frac{x^{a}}{x^{b}}=x^{a-b}[/tex].

And, of course, [tex]x^{a}y^{b}\neq xy^{a+b}[/tex] and the same for the fractions.

Hint: If you click on the LaTeX images above you can see the code and learn how to use it in this forum.

Thanks for the tip Assyrian.

But if you have a solution to the above problems it would definitely give me a kick start to my homework.

Sorry, but solutions are not just given away. You have to show your work. What have you done so far on these problems?

Well I think I've actually figured out the first one, I'm working on the second one rigt now but i might have it in a minute. here's my work for the first one by the wya, tell me if I got it right:
[tex]\frac{a^{3}b^{-2}} {3^{-1}a^{4}b^{-3}}[/tex]

[tex]=3a^{-1}b[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{3b} {a}[/tex]

if you can't see th LaTeX, I probably put it in wrong, here's my work in plain text:

(a^3 b^-2) / (3^-1 a^4 b^-3)

= 3a^-1 b

=(3b) / a

That looks correct. And yes, I can see the LaTeX.

Thanks assyrian :)

Well I've looked at a few math help sites and a few tutorials, got some help from a teacher today, and didn't understand the lesson in calss yesterday, but I finally understand it :p

talk about dedication to the "arts" :)

Can you explain something to me though?

I have a question that's written like this [tex]x^{2}y^{-3}[/tex] but I have no clue as to what they're asking of me.

I don't know what the question is either. :smile: Do they want you to simplify [tex]x^{2}y^{-3}[/tex] or what?

I have no clue and they don't tell you what you're supposed to do on the worksheet, which really sucks.

Well I thank you for your assistance Assyrian, but I'm going to go watch Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire now while I redue all of my homework.

Thanks again, bye.

Interesting...I'm soon to go and watch the same movie. :smile:

1. What is a negative exponent?

A negative exponent represents the inverse or reciprocal of a number raised to a positive exponent. It is written as a^-n, where a is the base and n is the exponent.

2. How do you evaluate a negative exponent?

To evaluate a negative exponent, you can rewrite it as the reciprocal of the number raised to the positive exponent. For example, 2^-3 can be rewritten as 1/(2^3) or 1/8.

3. What is the difference between a positive and negative exponent?

A positive exponent represents repeated multiplication of a number by itself, while a negative exponent represents repeated division of a number by itself. For example, 2^3 means 2 x 2 x 2, while 2^-3 means 1/(2 x 2 x 2).

4. Can a number with a negative exponent be simplified?

Yes, a number with a negative exponent can be simplified by applying the rules of exponents. For example, 2^-3 can be simplified to 1/8 by rewriting it as 2^-3 = 1/(2^3) = 1/8.

5. Are negative exponents always fractions?

No, negative exponents can also be non-fractional numbers. For example, 2^-2 can be written as 1/(2^2) = 1/4, but it can also be written as 0.25, which is a non-fractional negative exponent.