How to Design a Spiral Spring for Controlled Unwinding?

In summary, the conversation is about designing a spiral spring for a project. The person is looking for a theory to design it and is concerned about the number of revolutions the spring can give and controlling its unwinding. They ask if anyone knows of a mechanism that can solve the problem and for recommendations of ebooks or authors on the topic. Another person responds that they cannot help with the design but there are others who can. They suggest using a clockwork escapement or adding a flywheel for a steady unwinding. They also mention that power spring design can be complicated but there are formulas and software available for accurate predictions.
penpepper
does anyone know how to design a spiral spring. i need to design a spiral spring for my project but can't find the theory to design it. i am more concerned with the no of revolutions that a spring can give. Also i need to have a controlled unwinding ie it should release its energy slowly. Anyone knows any mechanism that will solve the problem.
Plz tell me of any ebook or any authors name.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Penpepper.
I'm afraid that I can't help you with the spring design, but there are lots of others here who can.
As for the unwinding, does it just have to be slow, or slow and steady? If the former, any sort of clockwork escapement such as a Geneva wheel would work. If steadiness is required, I'd consider adding a flywheel to the system.

Power spring design can be very complicated. There are some simple formulas that can approximate turns and full torque. These are available in various books and journals. For more design details as well as software that can predict power spring design accurately visit http://www.spiral-spring.com"

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a spiral spring?

A spiral spring, also known as a clock spring or a mainspring, is a type of mechanical spring that is made from a long strip of metal wound in a spiral shape. It is commonly used in various mechanical and engineering applications, such as in clock mechanisms, vehicle suspensions, and firearms.

2. How is a spiral spring designed?

The design of a spiral spring involves various factors, such as the desired load capacity, deflection, and stress levels. The designer must also consider the type of material to be used, the diameter and pitch of the spring, and the number of coils. These factors are crucial in determining the spring's performance and longevity.

3. What are the different types of spiral springs?

There are several types of spiral springs, including compression springs, extension springs, torsion springs, and constant force springs. Each type has a specific purpose and is designed to handle different loads and forces. Compression springs, for example, are used to resist compressive forces, while extension springs are used to resist tensile forces.

4. How do you calculate the dimensions of a spiral spring?

The dimensions of a spiral spring can be calculated using various formulas, depending on the type of spring and the desired parameters. Some common formulas used in spring design include Hooke's law, which relates the force applied to the spring with its deflection, and the spring index, which is the ratio of the mean diameter to the wire diameter.

5. What are some common materials used in spiral spring design?

The most commonly used materials in spiral spring design are high-carbon steels, stainless steels, and non-ferrous alloys such as bronze and beryllium copper. The choice of material depends on the application requirements, as each material has different strength, corrosion resistance, and fatigue properties. Other factors, such as cost and availability, may also influence the material selection process.