What Is the Best Way to Understand General Relativity?

In summary, the conversation involves someone trying to understand the theory of General Relativity and asking questions to clarify their understanding. They also mention a picture they created to visualize the concept of gravity and how it affects the measurement of a meter. The conversation then shifts to a discussion about posting personal theories and the rules of the forum. The expert summarizer advises the individual to read a non-mathematical account of general relativity and notes that the conversation is not suitable for the current forum.
OneEyed
3ZSUj.jpg

Hello, is this a fairly accurate representation of General Relativity? I'm just trying to make sure I fully understand the theory, before I ask my silly questions.

Edit: I created this picture to help me visualize General Relativity better. As I understand it, 1 meter is a different size at different strengths of gravity.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I was always under the impression a meter is a meter.

Based on the whole "meter shrinking as gravity increases" premise you have above, does this mean if we could invert gravity a meter would grow?

Also, does it mean a meter on Earth is shorter than in space?

I'm curious now.

OneEyed said:
I'm just trying to make sure I fully understand the theory, before I ask my silly questions.
Asking about a silly picture isn't the best way to do that. :wink:

A meter is a meter. Maybe there is a way to make sense of what the picture is saying, but I don't want to spend any time decoding stuff like that. I suggest that you start by reading some non-mathematical account of general relativity. The best one is "Black holes and time warps: Einstein's outrageous legacy", by Kip Thorne.

Fredrik said:
Asking about a silly picture isn't the best way to do that. :wink:

A meter is a meter. Maybe there is a way to make sense of what the picture is saying, but I don't want to spend any time decoding stuff like that. I suggest that you start by reading some non-mathematical account of general relativity. The best one is "Black holes and time warps: Einstein's outrageous legacy", by Kip Thorne.

I created the picture. I wanted to understand why light speed is always constant, but yet as an observer we can see it change speeds. This link, http://www.xs4all.nl/~johanw/PhysFAQ/Relativity/SpeedOfLight/speed_of_light.html helped me understand that. It's because the distance light travels is shrunk. So relative to how compressed 2 frames of reference are, you could theoretically see faster than light, but never experience it at your location.

OneEyed said:
Hello, is this a fairly accurate representation of General Relativity? I'm just trying to make sure I fully understand the theory, before I ask my silly questions.

Is there a reason why you are asking this in the S&D forum and not in the Relativity forum?

Note that if you are trying to air out your own personal theory, it doesn't grant you any more freedom to do that in S&D forum.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Is there a reason why you are asking this in the S&D forum and not in the Relativity forum?

Note that if you are trying to air out your own personal theory, it doesn't grant you any more freedom to do that in S&D forum.

Zz.

I'm not trying to debunk the theory, I'm trying to understand it, last time I got an infraction when posting in Relativity for being a crackpot.

And I'd say you're not far off another one now if this is just a personal theory of some description.

OneEyed said:
I'm not trying to debunk the theory, I'm trying to understand it, last time I got an infraction when posting in Relativity for being a crackpot.

So you think you can hide in here? The PF Rules are global and applies the same way in this forum as well. If you tried something that would have resulted in an infraction in the Relativity forum, you'll get that same infraction here as well!

And btw, there is a difference between asking question to understand something, versus making unsubstantiated statements. Guess which one you did last time?

This is the wrong forum for this topic.Zz.

Related to What Is the Best Way to Understand General Relativity?

What is General Relativity?

General Relativity is a theory of gravity proposed by Albert Einstein in 1915. It explains how objects with mass interact with each other and how space and time are affected by gravity.

How does General Relativity differ from Newton's theory of gravity?

Newton's theory of gravity describes gravity as a force between two masses, while General Relativity explains gravity as a curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of mass and energy.

What are the main implications of General Relativity?

General Relativity has several important implications, including the prediction of black holes, the bending of light by massive objects, and the existence of gravitational waves.

What evidence supports General Relativity?

Several experiments and observations have confirmed the predictions of General Relativity, including the bending of starlight during a solar eclipse, the redshift of light near massive objects, and the detection of gravitational waves.

How does General Relativity relate to the theory of the Big Bang?

General Relativity is an essential component of the Big Bang theory, as it explains the expansion of the universe and the formation of structures in the universe, such as galaxies and clusters of galaxies.