The slope of a kinetic energy vs. potential energy graph

In summary, the student has plotted a graph of gravitational potential energy vs. kinetic energy and found the slope to be -1.4. They are unsure of what this value represents and need to find the theoretical value for calculating percentage error. They have attempted to determine the theoretical value using different equations, including one found on the internet, but are confused as to how -1 could be the theoretical value. They are seeking clarification and help understanding their mistakes. The equation for calculating percentage error is |theo-exp|/|theo| x 100, and the student has found that using -1 as the theoretical value results in a percentage error of 40%, which makes more sense to them. They are seeking confirmation that -1 is
niteeks

Homework Statement

I have plotted a graph of Gravitational potential energy (y-axis) vs. kinetic energy (x-axis), and I have found the value of the slope to equal -1.4. The thing is I don't know what the -1.4 equals to? Since I have to find the percentage error, I need to know the theorectical value of the experiment, to put into the equation of % error. I have tried several ways to determine what the value would be like but I don't think they make sense:

The Attempt at a Solution

(kg(m/s^2)m)/((kg(m^2/s^2))/2) which equals finally 2 (theo value)

and when I put into percentage error formula:

(|theo-exp|/|theo|)x100→(2-(-1.4)/2)x100→1.7x100=170% (which is impossible)

or something I found on the internet:

For a freely falling body,
P.E. + K.E. = cosntant
=> x + y = constant, where x = P.E. and y = K.E.
=> P.E. vs. K.E. graph is a line with slope = - 1

I don't understand how -1 should be the theo value of the slope... But it works perfectly in my equation for percentage error!

(|theo-exp|/|theo|)x100→(-1-(-1.4)/-1)x100→0.4x100=40% (which makes more sense)

Could someone help me understand this? And tell me my mistakes? It doesn't make any sense to me! Thanks!

Homework Equations

em=ek+pe

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint:

Write the equation as

PE + KE = C, where C is a constant.

Then put it in the form of y = mx + b

What is m?

Uh well "m" equals -1 right?

That's correct.

The slope of a kinetic energy vs. potential energy graph is determined by the relationship between the two variables. In this case, the slope of -1.4 indicates that for every unit increase in kinetic energy, there is a decrease of 1.4 units in potential energy. This slope can also be interpreted as the change in potential energy over the change in kinetic energy.

In terms of the percentage error calculation, the theoretical value of the slope would be -1, as stated in the second attempt at a solution. This is because the theoretical relationship between kinetic energy and potential energy is a straight line with a slope of -1, as shown in the equation PE + KE = constant.

The first attempt at a solution is incorrect because it does not take into account the units of the variables. The units of the slope should be in J/m or m/s^2, not just a number.

In conclusion, the theoretical value of the slope should be -1 and the percentage error calculation should be (|-1.4-(-1)|/|-1|)x100 = 40%. This indicates that there is a 40% difference between the experimental and theoretical values, which could be due to experimental error or other factors. It is important to carefully consider the units and equations when interpreting data and calculating errors in scientific experiments.

1. What is the slope of a kinetic energy vs. potential energy graph?

The slope of a kinetic energy vs. potential energy graph represents the rate of change of potential energy with respect to kinetic energy. It shows how much potential energy is gained or lost for each unit of kinetic energy.

2. How is the slope of a kinetic energy vs. potential energy graph calculated?

The slope of a kinetic energy vs. potential energy graph is calculated by taking the change in potential energy divided by the change in kinetic energy. This can be represented as the rise over run or the change in y divided by the change in x.

3. What does a positive slope on a kinetic energy vs. potential energy graph indicate?

A positive slope on a kinetic energy vs. potential energy graph indicates that as the kinetic energy increases, the potential energy also increases. This means that the system is gaining potential energy at a faster rate than it is losing kinetic energy.

4. What does a negative slope on a kinetic energy vs. potential energy graph indicate?

A negative slope on a kinetic energy vs. potential energy graph indicates that as the kinetic energy increases, the potential energy decreases. This means that the system is losing potential energy at a faster rate than it is gaining kinetic energy.

5. How does the slope of a kinetic energy vs. potential energy graph relate to the conservation of energy?

The slope of a kinetic energy vs. potential energy graph directly relates to the conservation of energy. This is because the total energy of a system, which includes both kinetic and potential energy, remains constant. The slope shows the exchange between these two forms of energy, but the total amount remains the same.