Trig Unit Circle applications

In summary, the unit circle is helpful because it helps you visualize what is going on and you can generate angles easily. Finding angles that generate a tan value is tedious, but there are tips available.
Live4eva_2
Hi all,

My math is kinda weak but I'm re-attempting a precalculus course .
I was just wondering exactly how the unit circle helps me??

I mean,I can generate it quite easily(from memory,but)...but why not just convert to degrees and enter it into my calculator?

Also,finding angles that generated a tan value is so tedious...any tips?(I haven't even attempted csc,sec and cot yet)

I'm glad I stumbled across these forums!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure if there is one correct answer as to why a unit circle is beneficial, but I always liked it because it helped me to visualize what was going on. Plus, calculators will often give you the wrong answer when using the arctan function so you'll have to know what quadrant you are in.

CS

Well,

I'll get something like this as an answer(this is an arbitrary value):
x = arctan (sqrt(3)/sqrt(2))
I'll find angles resulting in that value from the trig circle and multiply by
(sqrt(3)/sqrt(3)) to rationalise it,then
the period of the tan graph equals the domain of the arctan function(0,pi-I think).
So I'd restrict my answers to that interval...

I just learned this procedure from my textbook,what confuses me though is how in the world did I end up calculating x = arctan in the 1st place??For what purpose?

Also, I remember when I was doing trig in high school I used the CAST diagram to determine which trig values were positive and negative...I really haven't used it in precalculus yet...Is this because only unit circle angles are evaluated?Or am I missing something?

Last edited:
[tex]y=tanx[/tex]

Taking the inverse ...

[tex]x=\tan^{-1}x[/tex]

You calculated arctan so that you could find the angle.

Trig is used a lot in Calculus and Physics, it's not like you're learning this and will not be using it again anytime soon.

Luckily I won't be taking physics again.At best, just this precalculus course and linear algebra.(If I pass those then 1st year discrete also).How do you generate that fancy text??

I guess it's difficult to share knowledge with someone like me..it just goes in one ear and out the other...

Anybody know any tasty acronyms to remember trig identities(besides sohcahtoa)?

1. What is the unit circle and how is it used in trigonometry?

The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1 centered at the origin on a coordinate plane. It is used in trigonometry to visualize and understand the relationship between the angles and sides of right triangles.

2. How do you find the coordinates of a point on the unit circle?

The coordinates of a point on the unit circle can be found by using the trigonometric ratios sine, cosine, and tangent. For example, to find the coordinates of a point with an angle of 30 degrees, you would use the sine ratio to find the y-coordinate and the cosine ratio to find the x-coordinate.

3. What are some real-life applications of the unit circle in trigonometry?

The unit circle is used in many real-life applications, such as in navigation and surveying to determine distances and angles, in physics to analyze motion and forces, and in engineering to design and construct structures.

4. How can the unit circle be used to solve trigonometric equations?

The unit circle can be used to solve trigonometric equations by converting the equation into its equivalent form on the unit circle. This allows for the use of the trigonometric ratios to find the solutions for the given angle.

5. What is the relationship between the unit circle and the Pythagorean theorem?

The unit circle and the Pythagorean theorem are closely related, as the Pythagorean theorem can be used to find the length of the hypotenuse of a right triangle on the unit circle, and the Pythagorean identities can be derived from the unit circle.